Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Take it away, I cant stand it!!!!!!!!!
I hate the P-51!!!

:lol:

Hi,

My first post :)

Interesting thread and considering the diversity of war and the machines designed to excel at certain aspects, there is no simple answer.

However, if I was put on the spot to select, what in my opinion, was the best aircraft of WW2, I'd say would be the ubiquitous JU-88. It was used as a bomber, night fighter, dive bomber, reconaissance, and a host of other missions. It was used throughout the entire war. It was one of the most versatile aircraft of its time.

The C47 is a close second, and while the need to supply the troops and war effort is supreme, it was the land supplies and ships that did the bulk of the support. Tanks, howitzers, munitions, food was mostly fed via ships to docks and then via land to the troops.

seeyuzz
river

Its an IL2 thing, its the one of the worst planes in IL2.

Its so overated too.

The P-51 was not the best, it was inferior to the Ki-84 and many, many, many other planes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The P-51 was not the best, it was inferior to the Ki-84 and many, many, many other planes.
I said one of the best....What other planes was the P-51 inferior too?

"Its an IL2 thing, its the one of the worst planes in IL2."

Just because the P-51 isn't a good plane in IL2 doesn't mean it wasn't a good plane.

Ummm....You do realize that Il-2 is only a GAME, right?

The P-51 could put up a good fight against ANY prop fighter. And fly further than almost any other type.

:Hi-performance
:Excellent handling
:Excellent visibility
: Decent firepower
:Exceptional range
:Reliable
:Inexpensive

What more do ya want?

JL

Want more?

The Me-309, F8F, hawker sea furry, YP-80 and I'l be back with some more...

Ummm....You do realize that Il-2 is only a GAME, right?

The P-51 could put up a good fight against ANY prop fighter. And fly further than almost any other type.

:Hi-performance
:Excellent handling
:Excellent visibility
: Decent firepower
:Exceptional range
:Reliable
:Inexpensive

What more do ya want?

JL

I would like low altitude performance, more munuverability and not stalling all the time.

And its not a "game" its a sim.

Last edited by a moderator:

You are right it was not the best, but it was one of the best planes of the WW2 and one of the best piston engined planes ever built.

Fact is fact.

You can not base the reality of an aircraft based off of a silly video game.

Want more?

:rolleyes:

Forget about the 309. It was only built as prototypes...

Besides the 309 was not all it was cracked up to be. It was only about 30 mph faster than the Bf 109G but the Bf 109G could out turn the Me 309. Once armament was added, the 309 became too slow. So take that one off your list.

Forget about the Bf 109. I would say the Bf 109 and the P-51 were equal depending on the conditions. Some areas the P-51 was superior, others the Bf 109. So don't say the P-51 was inferior to the Bf 109.

Same goes for the Fw 190.

Don't even try and compare the P-80 shooting star to the P-51!!! Completely different generation of aircraft!

Seriously, lay off the video games...

It was inferior to the FW-190D, Me-262, Bf-109, La-7, Yak-3, temptest, corsair, P-38 and more.

Inferior to:

Fw 190D - Possibly but not at all conditions. There are certainly conditions where the P-51D was at least and equal or better than the Fw 190D.

Me 262 - Why are you even trying to compare??? Two different generations of aircraft!

Bf 109 - See above... The P-51 and Bf 109 were equals with each having advantages and disadvantages over the other, with the P-51D probably having a slight edge.

La-7 - Explain how the P-51 was inferior, and do not use the video game as a reference.

Yak-3 - Explain how the P-51 was inferior, and do not use the video game as a reference.

It is a game, and if you think you can compare a video game to real flying especially under combat conditions you are very very mistaken!

Last edited:
Silverfish - you may be better off using that reason in my 'illogical' thread than here :D According to my experience in CFS3 the Vampire could piss all over the Ho IX, Me 262 and P-80 with ease - but do I believe it to be true? Nah.

Read the title of this thread, it asks what you think is the best aircraft.

So I stated my opinion and who cares what you think, and who cares what I think.

If you think it was the best then go ahead. All I'm saying is that I disagree.

Want more?

I would like low altitude performance, more munuverability and not stalling all the time.

I don't care if it's a game or a sim, it's still a game.:rolleyes: YOU CAN'T BASE IT OFF A GAME.

I dont base it of of a game, I just use the sim to get an idea of what it could be like.

How do you know its so awsome then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back