Bf 109 = hard to fly?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When was flying international in the early 70s, rules were, language was English, Altitude was in feet or Flight Level (100s of feet), air speed was knots (nautical miles per hour) or Mach, and barometric settings was in inches mean sea level (QNH). The Brits often used QFE which is the setting for zero altitude at the field, something you had to be aware of. I saw that the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) flight plans allows entry in metric. I certainly hope that verbal communications are still standardized.

We're the same here, except that our altimeter baro settings are in millibar, (or hectopascals, same thing). 1013 is equal to 29.92 in Hg. We use QNH settings, although there are a couple of instances where QFE is used.

Same here too : you're supposed to use knots, feet, hPa and QNH, though QFE may still be used in general aviation or by the air force.

I am familiar with the tail issue and the fix as well as the weak landing gear, but have never heard of wing problems, Denniss.

An English translation of a German report on 109F wing problems (courtesy of Mike Williams):

tig28aug42_zps1b7c2379.gif

I am under the distinct impression this was cured with the F-2 and wasn't an issue again. Perhaps not ...

Funny I never heard of it before now, and have read extensively on the Bf 109. Makes me curious, to say the least.

It's a new one on me as well, but, as you know, Mike has been doing a great job at finding such documents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back