Hi Flyboyj,
>>The 325th FG's opinion was that the P-40 could out turn the 109. Calculated estimates are nice, but they aren't facts. I'm not saying the 325th's opinion was a solid fact either*, just these questions aren't solved (or shouldn't be to anyone who is thinking) by making a few inputs into canned software and throwing up a graph. The 325th believed that an effective tactic was to fly slightly below 10k ft and that in the typical opening moves of a combat by 109's diving from above, the P-40's could split ess away and 109's couldn't follow, presumably through some combination of superiority in horizontal plane, dive and roll.
>Great post Joe and that hits the nail on the head
Better be careful about who you applaud there.
I told Joeb in no uncertain terms here on this forum:
>>My advice is to ask "May I see your math, please?" the next time you're about to launch a post that tries to downplay the significance of a quantitative analysis.<<
He never asked.
This means that he is neither ready to deal with engineering facts in a rational manner, and lacks the good sense to stop sniping against something of which he is guilty of self-chosen ignorance.
Here is a telling bit from the paragraph of his post which you applauded:
"these questions aren't solved (or shouldn't be to anyone who is thinking) by making a few inputs into canned software and throwing up a graph."
You should be aware that Joeb doesn't know my methods. The "knowledge" that I'm making 'a few inputs into canned software' is fake knowledge - he doesn't know what I'm using because he avoided to ask when challenged.
And his bracketed "shouldn't be to anyone who's thinking" - oh well, anyone who is thinking would have first asked "May I see your math please?", and had a look at it, before posing as a scholar and making comments on their value. (Or he would have admitted that the math is above his head and stopped the sniping.)
However, Anyone who's just trolling wouldn't have minded the bigotry and continued the sniping from his position of ignorance - did you notice the entirely uncalled for "canned" attribution to insinuate I'm not aware of what the software actually does?
If you'd like to check the challenge to Joeb (and more examples of his typical behaviour) look at post #130 in this thread:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/spitfire-mk-vb-seafire-vs-zero-12810.html
If someone can prove to me with engineering methods that the P-40E can out-turn the Me 109F in a sustained turn, he's welcome to try - it will be an interesting learning experience regardless of the final conclusion. However, considering that with otherwise very similar parameters, the P-40E is a ton heavier than the Me 109F, I don't expect too many volunteers.
Regards,
Henning (HoHun)