Bf-109 vs. Spitfire....

Which Series of Craft Wins the Fight.... Bf-109 or the Spitfire???

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

and the hurricane lays claim to about 80% of all jerry aircraft downed due to all causes in the battle not bad going, but could the hurricane have done it without the spit? doubtful, depends how many extra hurricanes there were..........

Hurricane claims between June and October 1940 are for 1593
Spitfire claims between June and October 1940 are for 1117 confirmed

Source; "The Battle of Britain" by John Lake

So the ratio of claims is around 60:40 Hurricanes to Spitfires.

The only reason I think the Hurricane could not do it without the Spit is the fact that lets face it the Spit was the better aircraft and while the Spit was taking on the 109s the Hurricanes could move in and get the slower more vulnerable bombers. They were a team and did it exceptionally well together.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
The only reason I think the Hurricane could not do it without the Spit is the fact that lets face it the Spit was the better aircraft and while the Spit was taking on the 109s the Hurricanes could move in and get the slower more vulnerable bombers. They were a team and did it exceptionally well together.
Agreed, I saw a program on the Battle of Britain where Alex Kershaw (Spitfire test pilot) said that "The Spitfire could of won the Battle of Britain without the Hurricane but the Hurricane couldn't of won it without the Spitfire". Even so the Hurricane was the unsung hero of the Battle of Britain.

Depends on how many Spitfires you had. With the ammount of Spits that they had, and no Hurricanes the Spits would not have held on for very long.

Yes undoubtablly it is biased.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Depends on how many Spitfires you had. With the ammount of Spits that they had, and no Hurricanes the Spits would not have held on for very long.

True with the number of Spits they had it was not possible however had they had similar numbers as they had of both types it is probably an accurate statement although with Hurricanes the British would still of inflicted substantial loses on the Luftwaffe.

well the hurricane wasn't a complete lemon, many -109s fell foul to the Hurricane's guns, spits weren't always there to save the day but i agree, with the same number of spits as there were hurricanes the battle would still turn out the same.........

Dont take me wrong I am not saying the Hurricane was a lemon. It was a great aircraft. However the Bf-109 was superior to the Hurricane in almost every catagory. Did 109s fall to Hurricanes though? Ofcourse.

Probably the fact that the British radar would vector them to the site of the Germans and they could be waiting to pounce them. Most Bf-109s fell to Spitfires though and not Hurricanes.

That's a silly question, looma. It's purely situational. The Bf-109s could have been bounced, or the German pilot might have been tricked into a turning fight. There's countless reasons.

Could a Hurri really out-turn an Me?

The Hurri could take punishment and some had armour field-upgrades.

I also think the engine was tougher?

Plus it was fighting on home turf...

I take it we're discussing the Spit MkI/II and the Emil?

Well in that case I'd put the two equal, depending on pilot choice.

The Me was better @ high alt, the Spit @ lower. The Me could choose the venue, but it was (on Goerings orders) at the Spits best level.

For me, it would depend on the day, but if I weren't allowed the hub cannon on the Emil, then it'd probably always be the Spit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back