Bf-109 with Rifle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the shotguns were early war replaced by MP 40's even in the S/E day fighter force over the Ost front

A bit weird decision from Göring, equipping crew with custom rifles when a Kar is sufficient enough for hunting... at least for bigger animals.
Finnish pilots shot elks from their Brewsters and afterwards mechanics went to fetch the dead animals. Food for the whole squadron.

The FMJ bullets of the Mausers probably made it hard for reliable kills. The 9.3X74 (still loaded today) is on par with the 375 H&H rimmed magnum. It was supplied with hunting (the H-mantle bullets were designed for large, soft-skinned animals) bullets.

tom

Why's that???

The story I heard, was that the Germans were concerned at the number of pilots who shot themselves after they had been shot down in the sea and had run out of water.

Back to the topic when the Italian BR20's were checked out after being sot down in the BOB, they found rifles, tin hats and bayonets!!.

Interesting idea with the hunting rifle, might as well add a tent and a sleeping bag and if there is enough space some spices so that the pilot can give some taste to whatever he hunted...:D Anyway the K98k rifle was a good idea, like Adler state its good to have a more powerful weapon than just a sidearm when you are on enemy territory.

Interesting idea with the hunting rifle, might as well add a tent and a sleeping bag and if there is enough space some spices so that the pilot can give some taste to whatever he hunted...:D Anyway the K98k rifle was a good idea, like Adler state its good to have a more powerful weapon than just a sidearm when you are on enemy territory.

The concept or rational of the hunting rifle (the Bockdrilling) is survival, not firepower. The "Bockdrilling" is a universal hunting rifle as the ammo suggests:
12c/ 6G is for birds and rabbits
12c/ Brennecke is for wild boars
9,3x74 rifle ammo is for game like deers

The replacement with a K98, was probabely more a matter of supplies and availability. A K98 with it's 7,92x56 military ammo is a rather inappropriate survival tool.

Combination gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combination_guns.jpg

Hi Koolkitty,

>Combination gun

The Bockdrilling is one specific variant, though: Bockdrilling â€" Wikipedia

"Bock" refers to the vertical arrangement of the main barrels, "Drilling" is 'triplet'.

(Though "Bock" and 'buck' share the same root, the use in "Bockdrilling" is a secondary derivation from the - dead- metaphor "Bock" for a trestle or 'horse', which appears to be the equivalent English metaphor.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

A reason German pilots during battle of britain had no pistols is an odd one and not to sure myself.

The 109 had tight range and many would fall from empty fuel into the English Channel. Some pilots shot themselves rather than die from drowning or exposure. This meant rescue was impossible so the carrying of guns was stopped.
I have to say that this is something that I had heard

M30 drilling was a fantastic rifle which was vastly expensive and fancy for a basic rifle. 2 shot gun barrels and a rifle barrel. It was a vastly over priced superb piece of kit which was a commercial grade rifle.
Considered to be the most nicest ever high end rifle given to troops it's high end cost is stupid and when someone eventually realised this purchase was stopped.
More of a safari gun designed for shooting rhinos than a survival gun.
But the quality of the weapon is first class and the polar opposite of the Sten.

M30 drilling was a fantastic rifle which was vastly expensive and fancy for a basic rifle. 2 shot gun barrels and a rifle barrel. It was a vastly over priced superb piece of kit which was a commercial grade rifle.
Considered to be the most nicest ever high end rifle given to troops it's high end cost is stupid and when someone eventually realised this purchase was stopped.
More of a safari gun designed for shooting rhinos than a survival gun.
But the quality of the weapon is first class and the polar opposite of the Sten.

"The only difference between a man and a child is the price of their toys."
I think this is an English proverb, but I think it can be applied to everyone and to Goering in particular....
In one of his castles he had a huge model railroad and he used to play a lot with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back