Bf 109E-4 7./JG 53 "Weiss 5" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My apologies Dr. GN. It seems you are correct and usually when I cobble together something like this I post sources or links which I thought I had. Again, my apologies and thanks for pointing that out. If you want I can remove it?

My apologies Dr. GN. It seems you are correct and usually when I cobble together something like this I post sources or links which I thought I had. Again, my apologies and thanks for pointing that out. If you want I can remove it?

Thank you, but no, it's absolutely fine to leave it AFAIC. Just bear in mind that not everything on the www is necessarily true though, and some things may need a bit more digging.

The "White 5" Bf109 has a small link to my family in that my Dad as a schoolboy in Sheffield paid to go and see it when it was displayed. That's why I wanted to build a model of it. So as far as I'm concerned any info that comes to light on any forum is good. A small link to the original thread would not have gone amiss (but there is one here now), that's all I was saying.

Just for more completeness on your thread, here is the quote for H-G Schulte's grandaughter:

"During the last week we did some research in the net and stumbled upon the "britmodeller" page. There you posted about your project: Matchbox Bf109E-4 1:32 "White 5". In some posts you were asking about the pilot of the "Sheffield" Bf109E-4 "White 5".
Pilot Uffz. Hans Georg Schulte was my grandfather. He rarely talked about his time in World War II with me. As far as I know, he was shot down two times. The first time he crashed in the British channel and was picked up by the German Marine. Shortly after that crash he went back to flying his "White 5". He counted for himself 8 victories, from which 7 were verified.
On 6th September his plane was hit while fighting again in the Battle over Britain by a Spitfire. He managed to do an emergency landing in the south of Britain. As far as I know, he was injured by a splinter on the left side of his neck, when his plane was hit. After landing in Britain he must have spent some time in a British military hospital. Later he was transported to Canada as a prisoner of war. There he spent the rest of the war and survived.
After the war he returned to Germany, though I do not know the exact year. When the German Army was reinstalled in the Fifties, he became a pilot again, though he changed to flying helicopters then. He spent some time in the US (e.g. Texas) for some flight instruction courses. Back in Germany he was a helicopter pilot for the new German Army for a couple of years. Later he gave up flying.
Unfortunately he never mentioned anything about technical details of his time flying or details according to the special painting of his "White 5", the only detail I can remember is, that he was flying with the famous pilot Ernst Udet.
My granddad returned to the UK later in his life to go deer hunting in the north of England and Scotland – and to taste the whiskey ;). For hunting he returned to Canada as well in the 80ies. In December 2003 he died in the age of 85.

One of the linked pictures in yourpost shows my granddad as a young man:
http://www.asisbiz.c...ce-1940-01.html
He is the second man counting from the left side (white shirt, hands in pockets)

Unfortunately we have not found these old pictures or the Matchbox model of "his white 5" earlier. I think my granddad would have been very surprised what happend to his plane after the crash.
Do you know, if there are more pictures or if the real plane exists still anywhere in Britain?
Hope, that you can deal with my information given, though I can not give you more special or technical details.

It is amazing, what one can find in the www though...

Greets from Germany"

Best Regards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back