Bf-110 successor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For a plane capable of effectively fighting the NF Mossies it should to have quite a speed advantage over the latter. So incorporating a low drag laminar flow wing would had been obviously be of use.
But in none of the aircraft mentioned it had been done?

Probably need to not be so big and heavy either....

The He 219 empty weight was about the same as the Mossie's max weight....

I wonder if the Germans are lacking knowledge and research as far as laminar wings are concerned. And not all new or late war fighter designs sport such a wing. Pros and cons?

WWII era night fighter aircraft typically don't turn burn. They stalk prey and open fire from point blank range.

High speed and excellent high altitude performance are necessary for catching Path Finder Mosquitoes. A specialized mission that has little in common with shooting down enemy bombers and night fighter aircraft.

Hadn't thought about that.
But to achieve more of a speed advantage against the PFMs, that's where the benefits of a laminar flow wing would come into play, doesn't it?

Me-209 II had a laminar flow wing. Fw-190D9 did not and they won the production contract. So apparently there's nothing magical about using a laminar flow wing.

Fw-190D-9 was a straightforward modification of the plane that is already in mass production, while the 209 was a brand new airplane, that was giving nothing to justify the production. That might be the explanation about the decision what to produce next?
As for Me-209-II having laminar-flow wing - that is a myth as it was that XP-40Q have it? A plane with a thin, 17 m^2 wing needs Jumo-213A to make 685 km/h - that dos not look like a laminar-flow wing? Not that it was magical, either.

I thought that the Me 209II had just kind of a stretched Me 109 wing, so the wing profile should be the same.
Afaik the only Messerschmitt plane that sported a laminar flow wing was the Me 309.

A Me 209-II did never exist nor did a Me 209-I. They were both named Me 209 while the first version was propaganda-presented as Bf 109R or Me 109R.
One could call it the Me 209 of '43 or the second incarnation of the Me 209.

Don't want to be a smart*ss but for the sake of terminology the '43 machine should rather be called the second plane to have the name Me 209, doesn't it?
An incarnation would mean that the two are somehow related designs which they are obviously not.
The only commonality is that they were built by the same company.

Me 210 vices

How can one explain why the flight characteristics are so abysmal from an aerodynamicist's point of view and compare them to other planes'?

Last edited:
The engine nacelles of many twin engined aircraft were lengthened and their rear sharpened in the course of their development mostly to improve flight stability.
Examples are the DH98 Mosquito, He 219, F7F etc..
The earlier Fw 187 also had those kind of "streamlined "nacelles whereas those of its later stablemate Ta 154 had a rather blunt rear sections
One would assume that a later design would benefit from later aerodynamic knowledge.

So were those initial short engine nacelle tails as good as the later ones from an aerodynamic point of view?
If not so, why had the 154 being a late (wartime) design not sleeker nacelles installed in the first place?

The Messerschmitt twin designs also had blunter nacelle ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back