Big Growth in Phone Card Drive

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Marine Corps League in Deptford Township sees big growth in phone card drive since effort began - NJ.com

Marine Corps League in Deptford Township sees big growth in phone card drive since effort began
Friday, April 16, 2010
By Jessica Driscoll
[email protected]

DEPTFORD TWP. Six years ago, an initiative to distribute phone cards to GIs serving overseas was launched by Bill McGinnis, the father of a Marine who was killed in Iraq, and the Semper Fidelis Detachment of the Marine Corps League in Deptford quickly signed on.

"We started then with two phone cards and today we have 111,000 ready to send out the door," said Gene Timmons, past service commander of the Marine Corps League. "We've had so much support over the years from Valero, NuStar and others. Originally, we went to Heritage Dairy to see if they could offer us some support and we had no idea how big this would grow. We did this without any government help and I love it."

Timmons said the phone cards are of a great value to those separated from family and friends.

"They need these cards" said Timmons. "Yes, they have access to computers at times, but that's not the same as calling home. We've had Marines who have died and their families wished they had just those couple of minutes to talk."

Timmons explained that though most of the cards allow for 300 minutes state to state, they can only be used for 78 minutes when calling from Iraq, Kuwait or Afghanistan to the United States. It costs about $15 for each card.

"You can't take cell phones to combat zones," said Staff Sgt. Richard Maxie. "How many of you have loved ones? How many times do you talk to them daily? There's nothing like a phone call home and the opportunity to talk with your family. It's something most people take for granted."

Maxie said his number one responsibility is troop welfare and so when he receives the cards, he always makes sure everyone gets one. After two tours in Iraq, Maxie said the feeling of knowing that people at home are supporting you is a great one.

In recognition of the program's sixth anniversary, Valero Refinery held a fundraiser, collecting $165 for more phone cards. Valero's Vice President and General Manager Jack Eisenmann decided to match their donation with a $1,000 check.

"We have so many service men and women who are retired or in the reserves as well as those who have children overseas and it's so critical for them to be able to reach out and know their friends and family are supporting them," said Lisa Lindsey from Valero. "Just having that five minutes to talk to mom or dad can make such a difference."

"When you read the cards and letters we get back from our troops and their families, you know you're doing something right," said past commander Harry Prince. "It's hard to explain, it's just so beautiful. As long as they're over there, we will continue to send these cards to help."

:thumbleft:

Maybe its just me, but a fund-raiser that raised $165???? I hope that's a typo....heck, I've donated more than that myself, before, and I most certainly am not "rich"!!!

Well, that refinery just closed a plant so there may not have been many people to contribute. But they did donate $1000 to the fund. To be honest, there are a lot of organizations like this around here - people very patriotic and do what they can.

I totally agree! I wasn't tryin to knock the guy's efforts, and I'm sure they've got contributions coming in from other sources as well. Didn't know about the plant closing. :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back