Bleeding Sky: The Story of Captain Fletcher E Adams and the 357th Fighter Group

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mhuxt

Staff Sergeant
Jul 16, 2004
Does anyone have a copy of this book? There may (or may not) be a reference in there to a couple of 357th pilots having jumped a Mosquito.

I don't know for sure if the info is there. The author, Joey Maddox, later wrote another book, "The Great Rat Race for Europe", in which he mentions the other, earlier book, and the story. However, the text of the second book is ambiguous - he says he "did include" the story, however I think that may be a typo for "did not include", as he then goes on to describe how he wanted to determine which of two pilots named Brown was involved. (Rodney Starkey apparently was the other pilot.)

Would have been before 30 May 1944, as the unfortunate Fletcher Adams, from whose war diary the story comes, was murdered by German civilians on that date.

Grateful for any help.

Hello there - iam from the small villiage Tiddische in Germany where Cpt. Fletcher Adams where murdered.

Iam very sorry about this... . Last week my grandmother told me this story. I could not belive this. But than i google it.

I know some descendants of the murderer and this is very strange.

Very sorry in the name of the civilians from Tiddische.

welcome to the forum storch7.....

I know this is way late mhuxt but yes...two 357th pilots show down a mosquito thinking it was a 110. if I have time I will look up the names and details if you still want them. iirc the crew of the mossie got out ok...and the 2 mossie hunters never lived it down.

Does anyone have a copy of this book? There may (or may not) be a reference in there to a couple of 357th pilots having jumped a Mosquito.

I don't know for sure if the info is there. The author, Joey Maddox, later wrote another book, "The Great Rat Race for Europe", in which he mentions the other, earlier book, and the story. However, the text of the second book is ambiguous - he says he "did include" the story, however I think that may be a typo for "did not include", as he then goes on to describe how he wanted to determine which of two pilots named Brown was involved. (Rodney Starkey apparently was the other pilot.)

Would have been before 30 May 1944, as the unfortunate Fletcher Adams, from whose war diary the story comes, was murdered by German civilians on that date.

Grateful for any help.
The information you seek is in my book. The plane was shot down accidentally. Joey Maddox

Hello there - iam from the small villiage Tiddische in Germany where Cpt. Fletcher Adams where murdered.

Iam very sorry about this... . Last week my grandmother told me this story. I could not belive this. But than i google it.

I know some descendants of the murderer and this is very strange.

Very sorry in the name of the civilians from Tiddische.
Storch 7, please email me or send a PM here. I am interested in talking to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back