Bomb sights in wooden boxes x 5 - Help please !

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Tsargood, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Tsargood

Tsargood New Member

Hi All,
    First post.
    Im usually just a WW1 WW2 Lithgow 303 collector but I have stumbled across something I need help with and hope this is where I can find it.
    I have access to a few of these things. A friend of mines Grandfather died and has left a huge shed full of old stuff. Much of it military/aircraft.
    There are at least 5 of these things in boxes and Im trying to find out when they date from and what they were used for? Also how much should they be sold for??
    Over the next few months other items will emerge from the collection but it will take time to sort through it all as the shed its all in has collapsed on itself and is dangerous at present.
    There is literally tons of boxes full of stuff and lots of old army vehicles and airplane parts etc etc.
    Sorry for the poor photos but its all I have right now.
    Any help much appreciated
    photo (2).JPG photo (3).JPG photo.JPG

2. A4K

A4K Well-Known Member

Searching the net came up with an example of a Course setting bombsight Mk.IXA at the IWM, produced by Novobax Ltd., Watford in 1939.
    Thinking she may be from a Bristol Beaufort, which were also produced in Australia.

3. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Course setting bomb sights were standard in all RAF/RAAF/RCAF/RNZAF bombers from the 1930s until late in WW2, when the MkIX optical gyro sight began to enter service. Can't offer any advice on perceived value I'm afraid.