Bomber crash site, type unknown, help needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That was it till now, we have only just begun to search.... The site is 450 meters from our farmhouse....

I need a good metal detector (I bought mine for 45€ on ebay, bad stuff)... Any good ideas?

Next search will probably be this sunday...

Roman, will you post the pictures in the other website or should I (I haven't registered there yet, but that wouldn't be a problem)

Thanks
Michael

Zum Befehl: pics resized and posted there.
Yes. Let the dogs sleep untill you dig it out all and then you tell us more about the crash site location...

Zum Befehl: pics resized and posted there.
Yes. Let the dogs sleep untill you dig it out all and then you tell us more about the crash site location...

:lol:

Thanx!! :D

Will tell you all about the crash site, have to make a few fotos of the area first.... will probably have to wait till saturday (I leave in the dark and come home in the dark)

Maps will follow today

@erich: Yes it was 8.8 stationed in St. Valentin...
Furthermore the neighbor dug out some 2cm shells (around 20-30) a few years ago while digging a ditch... that was only about 600 Meters from the crash site.... They probably gave the B-?? the last hits.

Yep thats about it

The forrest is very steep and totaly viewable from the road above.
Thats the stupid part about the site, almost everybody that saw us searching (about 10) stopped and wanted to know what we were doing, just out of curiosity. I said we were looking for the water pipeline leading to our house...
I doubt most believed us.

There was another crash site where a twin engined aircraft was involved just north of us. There seems to be more information about that one. The aircraft came in low trailing smoke, dropped its ordnance (seemingly about 4-6 small bombs) in a row over fields and forrest, then crashed into the hill. That crash site was directly next to a farm about 1,5 klicks away from us.
I don't know how much was salvaged there, but chances are most of the plane went into the ground (farm land).

Our crash site was filled with trees to the time, most of them over 100 year old beech and ash trees. I have absolutely no expierience with how a crash site in a forrest looks like. Most of the pieces we found are pretty torn up.

I still need ideas to a good metal detector...can anyone help?

Yep thats about it

The forrest is very steep and totaly viewable from the road above.
Thats the stupid part about the site, almost everybody that saw us searching (about 10) stopped and wanted to know what we were doing, just out of curiosity. I said we were looking for the water pipeline leading to our house...
I doubt most believed us.

There was another crash site where a twin engined aircraft was involved just north of us. There seems to be more information about that one. The aircraft came in low trailing smoke, dropped its ordnance (seemingly about 4-6 small bombs) in a row over fields and forrest, then crashed into the hill. That crash site was directly next to a farm about 1,5 klicks away from us.
I don't know how much was salvaged there, but chances are most of the plane went into the ground (farm land).

Our crash site was filled with trees to the time, most of them over 100 year old beech and ash trees. I have absolutely no expierience with how a crash site in a forrest looks like. Most of the pieces we found are pretty torn up.

I still need ideas to a good metal detector...can anyone help?

Friend of mine got White´s Prizm IV and is very satisfied with it White's Electronics - Prizm™ IV Metal Detector
There´s Fisher, Garret but it´s always a question of money.

I have a date! I actually have two dates.... one of our unknown four engined aircraft and one of the other aircraft I described as having crashed north of us. This one seemed to be four engined too.

Our plane was shot down on the 25th of April 1945, 15 days before the war ended. It is written down in the history book of our village. It says, the plane had 9 crewman and they all jumped succesfully. The chutes landed near perg and mauthausen north of the Danube.

The second plane north of us (see a few replys back) crashed on the 24th of August 1944.... The flak tore the aircraft apart, the tail end hit the ground 1,5 klicks from us and the forward fuselage struck a farmhouse a few hundred yards away. All 10 crewman were killed, found and buried on the Haager cemetary.

I'd really like to know what type of plane it was and what name she had. Maybe someone even has photographs of her? Or both...

I will scan the pages tomorrow and page them here for reference. They are in German, although Roman and Erich doen't seem to have a problem with that.

Hallo Michael,
go to MACR database The United States Army Air Forces in W.W.II , then MACR db and after putting your date you´ll find out how many and which type of the A/C were shot down.
Perhabs on April ´45 10 B-17´s and 10 B-24´s went down.
Print it out and you have something for the start. I´m sure Erich or someone else will help you yet.

Should you have some more pics, don´t hesitate to post them :)

Good morning!

Thanks, will look in an hour or so. I'll put pictures up as soon as we find new parts and pieces.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far!

Michael

Here's the reference dokument for the dates of the crashes..

Attachments

• Haager geschichtsbuch Auszug.jpg
    Haager geschichtsbuch Auszug.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 143
Michael,

do you know this book? It could help you:

Johann Ulrich
Der Luftkrieg über Österreich 1938-1945
Ziele in Österreich, Chronologischer Ablauf, Aktive und Passive Schutzmassnahmen, Auswirkungen, Statistiken, 68 Seiten.
Preis: EUR 7,90
erhältlich im Museumsshop (Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, Arsenal, A-1030 Wien) und im Buchhandel

I will take a look at the book....thanx Roman :)

I found something out on the net.... It looks like it could be our A/C...

B-24 Web Board

Its an old post from the year 2000 and very interesting because the fact that all crewmembers bailed out and were taken to Perg is the same as with our aircraft.

It seems that it was a brand new B-24 belonging to the 465 Gp, 782nd Sqdn

I already tried to contact the guy, will see if he's still kicking....

Michael

I will take a look at the book....thanx Roman :)

I found something out on the net.... It looks like it could be our A/C...

B-24 Web Board

Its an old post from the year 2000 and very interesting because the fact that all crewmembers bailed out and were taken to Perg is the same as with our aircraft.

It seems that it was a brand new B-24 belonging to the 465 Gp, 782nd Sqdn

I already tried to contact the guy, will see if he's still kicking....

Michael

Guess you got a chance.
2 B-24´s from 465 BG were shot down on that day. 44-49905 (MACR 13986) and 44-49914 (MACR 13987).
Hope Norman is still alive.
Did you send him an e-mail?

So, 44-49905 belonged to the 780thSqn, hit by flak and crashed near Pecs, Hungary, piloted by William G. Shreme. So this is not the plane you´re looking for.

The plane, what Norman spoke about, was B-24H ´Easy Maid´, 44-49914.
Check this Joseph Military
Ctrl+F will help you...
That could be your plane...

So, I got it,

here´s what Norman Stickney said about his mission:
I served with Lt. Gemmato's crew on both NO LOVE NO NOTHIN' (42-52533) EASY MAID. EASY MAID was a new plane (1st mission) and we were shot down over Linz, Austria 25 Apr 45 (MACR 13967), on what I understand was the last mission of the war. I was one of the wounded and had a leg amputated in a German hospital. We also made a forced landing on the island of Vis in the Adriatic. Plane had so many shrapnel hits that it was beyond repair. Lt. Joe McGovern landed right after us. We also had to bail out over German territory in Yugoslavia and were picked up by Partisans. I had the occasion to meet Marshal Tito's chief of staff and was even asked to go on night patrols by the Partisans

Source:EASY MAID (V1) (PIC 3)

Norman is standing 2nd from left on the picture

Attachments

• EASYMAID-V1-3.JPG
    EASYMAID-V1-3.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 153
@ Roman: Good work!!!

Really looks like it was the Easy Maid.

It seems there were 3 or 4 different Easy Maids attached to different units..

It's a little hard to differentiate between them.

I sent emails to all the people named above, maybe I'll get an answer soon. I'll will post anything new.

Any clue to the other plane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back