Bomber crash site, type unknown, help needed (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

@ Roman: Good work!!!

Really looks like it was the Easy Maid.

It seems there were 3 or 4 different Easy Maids attached to different units..

It's a little hard to differentiate between them.

I sent emails to all the people named above, maybe I'll get an answer soon. I'll will post anything new.

Any clue to the other plane?

There were so many aircrafts flown in WW2 that was quite impossible to have other name for each machine. A lot of machines had the same name.
Anyway, you know the ser. Nr.,MACR, the crew so everything is clear. I only hope it is the machine you´re looking for, but I think so.
Hope someone will respond you soon. Also hope that Norman is still living!

Roman,

I have contact with Mr. Stickney and his flight engineer Mr. William Snow
Both are alive and kicking!
I wrote 22 emails to all kinds of email addresses I found on the web, yesterday Mr. William Snow answered:

"Dear Michael, My name is William Snow I was the flight engineer on the B-24 that was shot down on April 25th . Norman Stickney was the Co-Pilot. Norman asked me to contact you.....Norman forwarded your "E" Mail to me to see if I could work with you to identify the aircraft parts you have found. Yes, we were taken to Perg and put in the local jail. One of our crew members returned to Perg Austria with his wife sometime in the nineteen seventies and was greeted by the son of the policeman that had held us in the jail in 1945(small world).They spent two days together sight seeing and enjoying each other's company. Michael, if I had your phone number I would be able to help you identify the parts you have as of now..... My telephone number is ............. I hope we can solve this mystery, needless to say we are all very touched by your interest . Hope you get this ,Bill Snow"

I was very choked up after I read the mail... I still am absolutely stirred. :cry:
Thanks to everybody who helped and was a part in this project.

If you are interested I will continue to keep you updated on new events and post pics as soon as we go looking again.

Roman,

I have contact with Mr. Stickney and his flight engineer Mr. William Snow
Both are alive and kicking!
I wrote 22 emails to all kinds of email addresses I found on the web, yesterday Mr. William Snow answered:

"Dear Michael, My name is William Snow I was the flight engineer on the B-24 that was shot down on April 25th . Norman Stickney was the Co-Pilot. Norman asked me to contact you.....Norman forwarded your "E" Mail to me to see if I could work with you to identify the aircraft parts you have found. Yes, we were taken to Perg and put in the local jail. One of our crew members returned to Perg Austria with his wife sometime in the nineteen seventies and was greeted by the son of the policeman that had held us in the jail in 1945(small world).They spent two days together sight seeing and enjoying each other's company. Michael, if I had your phone number I would be able to help you identify the parts you have as of now..... My telephone number is ............. I hope we can solve this mystery, needless to say we are all very touched by your interest . Hope you get this ,Bill Snow"

I was very choked up after I read the mail... I still am absolutely stirred. :cry:
Thanks to everybody who helped and was a part in this project.

If you are interested I will continue to keep you updated on new events and post pics as soon as we go looking again.

For sure Michael, keep us informed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you speak about as I know how much effort it cost me and my family to find out all the information about that guy in my siggy. Everything began with e-mails in 2004 and he visited me here in 2005 and 2007. We visited him in USA in 2006.
U N F O R G E T A B L E M O M E N T S!!!

Heartly congratulations from me! I wish some of the crew could visit you. It would got you in knees for sure....

Hello,
I am new to the forum. My uncle's aircraft went down, 30 miles northeast of Salzburg on July 21, 1944. No survivors reported by the war department. No remains ever found. I have some more info if this is helpful.

Hello,
I am new to the forum. My uncle's aircraft went down, 30 miles northeast of Salzburg on July 21, 1944. No survivors reported by the war department. No remains ever found. I have some more info if this is helpful.
I would suggest starting a thread, with as much information as you have, it is not clear from your post which service he fought for let alone aircraft type, squadron staffel etc.

Hi,
I am from Austria and have discovered a crash site.
Background:
We bought a little farm north of the Alps not far from the Danube last summer. It turned out that, sometime from 1944 to 1945, a bomber which was shot down by the st. Valentin flak, crashed in our and our neighbors forrest. The neighbors remembered the fact and told uns one day that the plane was shot down during a raid against either Linz, Steyr or Wels.
I dont have very much information yet about the exact date and time.

Today we decided to take a closer look and discovered very many parts. The best thing we found looks like it could be a windowframe. Other things we found include wires, a lot of aluminum and a few things which have readable numbers on them.
I need help identifiing what we found and maybe finding out what type of bomber it could have been. The neighbors remember their parenst speaking of a four engined aircraft (it came in from the south, chopped of the top of the neighbors pear tree hitting the roof antenna and then crashed in the trees beyond.)
I have also been thinking about contacting someone about missing personel.
Nobody knows if there where any survivors after the crash, it seems that a few chutes had been seen, but that ist all. No information about how many.

Is anybody interested in helping to identify pieces? If so I will post pictures of all the parts we found. We have only just begun to dig.

Thanks,

Greetings from central Europe,

Michael
HI Michael
I have been researching and digging in norden Italy and near the Alps north of Udine and Trento for sometime now. The aircrafts I am looking for that crashed in that area in and around a 200 km circle were mainly from the Foggia Airfields. I would be happy to see the pics of the crash site, along with a map of the area, the smaller details will deal after, I am not looking for scrap metal!, I am looking to close the loop and advice the families of the the aircraft crew of the findings,. I have USAF contact that help, once contacted and proof presented. Please write to me at [email protected], if you need more help. Thank you/Grazie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back