Bomber's fixed guns vs. frontal attacks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Hi, folks,

Does anyone have any good info about the usage of the forward fixed guns from a bomber (typicaly a twin-engined) against head-on attacks by fighters? I'm exp. interested about US bombers, since those often sported quite a battery of MGs.

thats an interesting question..

if your B-25 or B-26 is on a med altitude bombing run, would you ever choose not to carry ammo for the mounted guns for the gain in performance.

The B-26 was used as a night fighter.

Last edited:
If you're talking about "Pappy" Gunn's modified B-25 Mitchells in the Pacific, the purpose of those fixed guns (sometimes up to a dozen .50-caliber machine guns and occasionally even a 75-mm. cannon), those armament configurations were for anti-shipping. I pity the fool of a Zero pilot who managed to maneuver his fighter in front of one of those.

Fixed guns, no 75mm. great for anti-shipping but not limited to it.

Executive_Sweet_5.jpg

B26.jpg

B-26.jpg

Are you sure? Do you mean the A-26 Invader-later designated B-26 post-war?

I don't think that Marauders were even used as night intruders, much less as night fighters.

JL

The Invader did change it's nomenclature from A-26 to B-26...

I know I read B-26 cause i thought it was odd... perhaps they were refering to the A-26

The B-17 "Old 666" had a mounted forward firing .50 cal that the pilot used when they plane took on 17 Japanese Fighters single handedly.

If you're talking about "Pappy" Gunn's modified B-25 Mitchells in the Pacific, the purpose of those fixed guns (sometimes up to a dozen .50-caliber machine guns and occasionally even a 75-mm. cannon), those armament configurations were for anti-shipping. I pity the fool of a Zero pilot who managed to maneuver his fighter in front of one of those.

Anyone know if any B-25 was ever credited with shooting down an enemy aircraft with the 75 ??

Here's one incident involving a RNZAF PV-1 Ventura:

"RNZAF machines did often clash with Japanese fighters, notably during an air-sea rescue patrol on Christmas Eve of 1943. NZ4509 was attacked by nine Japanese single-engined fighters over St. George's Channel. It shot down three, later confirmed, and claimed two others as probables, although being heavily damaged in the action. The pilot, Flying Officer D. Ayson and navigator Warrant Officer W. Williams, were awarded the DFC, the dorsal turret gunner Flight Sergeant G. Hannah was awarded the DFM." ~ from Wik

This account doesn't specifically mention that any of the Japanese a/c were shot down with the forward fixed-guns but it seems likely. I previously read a much more detailed account of this in a magazine years ago but I can't remember the details.

JL

PS: So far as I recollect, no A-26 night fighter variant ever saw combat. They were all prototypes.

The A-26 (post-war B-26) did see night operations in Europe under the 9th AF in a combined unit that was composed of both A-26 (both A-26B and A-26C versions) and A-20 aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back