Books

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Manfred sadly passed away some years ago. He had 10 confirmed victories both night and day kills.

the pic was taken June of 44 at Herzogenaurach. Not a very typical night fighter scheme really, this scheme was used on later fall 109 nf's and even in NJG 11's G-10's

enjoy !

E

Thanks again Erich!

Another question if you do not mind, where exactly is Herzogenaurach located?

hate to say this but I am not real sure except it is in Franconia with the HQ of Adidas/Puma sport

Several years to late, but I just saw this now. Herzogenaurach is near Erlangen here in Middle Franken where I live. Not to far from where I live.

Again sorry for being 4 years to late...:lol:

Ones I've read often and consider best on topic or classics:

Green: Warplanes of the Third Reich (mine new from 1971 when photo plates were crisp)
Bowers: Fortress in the Sky
Watts and Gordon: The Imperial Japanese Navy
Angolia: Daggers, Bayonets, and Fighting Knives of the Hitler's Germany
Lange: Das Buch der Deutschen Luftfahrttechnik
Silgailis: Latvian Legion
Mason: Battle over Britian
Francillon: Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War
Krausnick, et al: Anatomy of the SS State
Lehmann: Die Leibstandarte, Band I
Lilla: Die Mitglieder des Reichstags 1933-1945
Caidin: Flying Forts (first war or plane book I ever bought)
Black: Ernst Kaltenbrunner
Obermaier: Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe (Fighter and Stuka volumes)

And this one, the most recent released (April 2009) that I wrote, though long since deep into the writing the next volume.
Below is actually the 5th volume of the series, all German Cross in Silver holders were covered by themselves in the initial unnumbered volume.

Attachments

• 8SSGCCover_FinalB - Copy.jpg
    8SSGCCover_FinalB - Copy.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
~ nah ~ I'll list some W-Ss stuff I ahve collected since the 1960's.

SS in Battle - OOP
Camouflage uniforms of the W-SS
Armor battles of the W-Ss by Will Fey - great stories
Tigers in Combat 2 by Schneider - fanatstic !!
Their honour was loyalty, original volume worth 200.00 US at least
7./Pz. Komp. 1
1st SS im bild
Gefahrten unsrer Jugend - 1st SS Flak Abt.
Mark Yergers 2 volumes on 2nd SS Pz.
Das Reich, volumes 2,3 and photo vol. 6
Das Reich by Hastings: crap book.........
5th SS Wiking bei Strassner
Verweht sind die Spuren - primarily the Panther Abt, and too little on the PzIV abt.
6th Ss Nord
Firestorm of the last war year in German - 9/10th Ss Pz.
9th W-SS bei Heimdall - absolutely huge, in French/German
Benders W-SS volumes 1-5 OOP and worth big money !
Tragodie of the Faithful bei W. Tieke
second smaller volume of the 11th W-SS Nordland
12th W-SS bei Meyer
Blood and Honour - 12th SS by Luther

numerous booklets and articles and other smaller pic albums

I sell what have become "collectible" when far better texts surpass them:

"Their Honor was Loyalty" is a child's book compared to much done today on the topic. Have a nice condition copy of it you can have for $50.

I got the 7./Pz Rgt 'LAH' book done in English as well as the Regiment "DF" history.

Sorry, Tieke's III.Korps book is LOADED with errors, but was ok in its day.

Both vols of "Knights of Steel" blown away by the material in vols 1 and 2 of "German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police," Bender Publishing. Just my opinion but since I wrote them have a good idea as to content for comparing.

a thread more should reply to for helping others decide or look into specific books.

Mark was just listing what I have, yes I know without a doubt there have been some unbelieveable books released over the last 10 years covering a wealth of WW 2 subjects. Proof of the matter as an example are the Luftwaffe titles that have come of age being more pilot/unit and aircraft specific instead of simple two line biographies or a paragraph covering "in detail" aircraft flown during the war.

As a W-SS experten you know above many the value of released German documentation for yours and other(s) works on the subject matter..............and yes you better give your own work an AAA +. As I own 2 on Das Reich as well as one volume on your DK winners I heartly recommend any and all your volumes

E ~ Obermaier's works are classics and I refer to them time and time again, a few errors but who does not have them .......... sadly upon passing he was not able to further his work on the Bomber pilot/crewmen and other LW materials

Last edited:
Agreed the Luftwaffe material has expanded to a dramatic degree. British aircraft topics also.

Needed is more on Italian and Japanese aircraft, overall as well as in English.

5 of my volumes of German Cross holders have been released, the 6th will be in early 2010

Want to say hello as I`m new here on this great forum.

After reading many posts my first question goes to Erich about any news about his two projects:

"Moskito-Jagd over Deutschland"

And a book with more personal look at the Ju 88G-6, pilot/crews and a/c, radar systems, tactics and so on.

I read/heard about it sometimes so what do you thing about a publishing date for these two books?

Harry

Are Schiffer military books accurate for the most part? I'm looking at unit histories and Schiffer has a few for reasonable prices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back