british aircraft of the suez crisis

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jrk

Airman 1st Class
Jul 26, 2005
staffordshire
below are listed an assortment of RAF and FAA aircraft that played their part in the campaign.

supermarinescimitar.gif

JSJ_Supermarine_Scimitars_2.gif

supermarine scimitars FAA

JSJ_Supermarine_Sea_Hawk_5.gif

suprmarine sea hawk FAA

JSJ_Fairey_Gannet.gif

fairey gannet FAA AEW

JB_de_Havilland_Sea_Vixen.gif

de havilland sea vixen FAA

canberra.gif

bac canberra RAF

avroshackleton.gif

avro shackleton RAF AEW

Lincoln201.gif

avro lincoln RAF

66_hastings_wd475.gif

handley page hastings RAF

skyraider.gif

douglas skyraider FAA AEW

sycamorewithwhirlwind.gif

westland sycamore with westland whirlwind RAF SAR

westlandwhirlwind.gif

westland whirlwind RAF SAR

valiant.gif

vickers valiant RAF

vickersvaletta.gif

vickers valetta RAF

westlandwyvern.gif

westland wyvern FAA

meteornf13-i.gif

meteor.gif

gloster meteors RAF

What in the world are those jets doing in the pix "supermarine scimitars FAA"?.............looks like theyre doing wheelies.

i havent a clue i only found the picture.perhaps its synchronised take off formation as opposed to swimming lol

The Scimitars were at an angle to get the right lift for the takeoff from the catapult. The strop has the plane under tension just before the launch. The tension lifts the front off the deck and the plane is supported by a wheel at the back of the plane. You can just make out the wheel and the strop (roughly halfway down the fuselage) in the photo.
We had a similar problem with the Phantom but being a much heavier plane and the design changes that would have been needed, RN Phantoms had an extending front undercarriage. On the catapult, this was extended lifting the nose of the Phantom higher of the deck, achieving the same result.

Scimitars were dreadful planes to land. It was always said that no one landed a Scimitar, they did a controlled crash landing, even on land.

Ah, the good old Westland Whirlwind. They had one here at RAF Finningley and it had a wasps nest in it. Amazing story of today.

Nonskimmer. The difference is that the Scimitar was dreadful. I think I am right in saying that half the Scimitars built crashed in accidents of one kind or another. Not always the planes fault but 50% is a huge loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back