Broadsword calling Danny Boy........Where Eagles Dare Ju52

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bdefen

Senior Airman
Nov 26, 2019
Boise, Idaho USA
My interpretation. Letters on sides differ from movie airplane. Heller kit plastic is different from what I'm used to. Some parts fit well, others are tough due to scarcity of locating pins. Fun build.
JU52.jpg
Movie Poster.jpg
P2220001.JPG
P2220002.JPG
P2220003.JPG
P2220004.JPG
P2220005.JPG
P2220006.JPG
P2220007.JPG

Nice one !
I can hear that distinctive music playing, as it wends its way though the mountains.
Now your nest task, should you choose to accept it, is to build one of the Harvards and the Bell 47G in the Luftwaffe markings from the movie ...........

Nice one !
I can hear that distinctive music playing, as it wends its way though the mountains.
Now your nest task, should you choose to accept it, is to build one of the Harvards and the Bell 47G in the Luftwaffe markings from the movie ...........
That's an idea. I've been thinking of building the snowplow bus. Have found 1/72 scale WW2 Opel Blitz bus models around, which are not the brand of the bus used in the movie(can't find the actual brand/model), but could be a suitable imitation. I'd have to build the snow plow blade using sheet stock or cardboard. I may give it a try. The Harvards and the helicopter would certainly complete the diorama. Would need to find 1/72 scale Kubelwagens and BMW sidecar outfits. (The bikes would be tiny). It's fun.

That is a nice build. I'm keen to do similar one of these days.

I appreciate the compliments. My modeling skills are slowly improving, but I'll never reach the kind of detailing and precision I see on so many other masters on this site. It's fun and I enjoy researching the history or provenance of the models. I do a little armor modeling, too, and have done some large scale motorcycles. I renewed (did it as a kid) this hobby winter 2018 - 19 while recovering from ankle surgery. My daughter knew I'd be going crazy with boredom, so she bought me a couple closeout Trumpeter models at a local toy/hobby store. A WW2 Wehrmacht Sd. KFZ. 7, and a Vickers Wellington. Rattle can paint on both.
Sd Kfz 7, Kubelwagen weathered, Pak 40 4-19.jpg
Wellington1  1-19.jpg
Had a riot building them, bought an airbrush, compressor, etc. And here I am today. Pictures of Sd. Kfz. 7 and Wimpy above.

The Ju52's corrugated skin would have made filling and puttying very difficult, so there are some seams showing, and some gaps are evident. As stated, Heller's plastic is quite different from other manufacturers. It's thinner, rather flexible, and is a pale translucent blue. It is lightweight - I wondered whether the Ju52 or other Heller airplane models could be easily adapted to actual flying, with proper counterweighting and power, ala balsa and tissue models. The fit was pretty good on most of the pieces, but there was a decided lack of locating pins and other helpful items. The landing gear triangular configuration took a couple hours of trimming and fitting to get it right. The assembly instructions were rather vague or confusing in some areas.

As a postscript addressing whatever divergence from actual Luftwaffe Ju52 paint and camo schemes this model possesses, a comment I read on another modeling site regarding the Where Eagles Dare Ju52 is that this is supposed to be a model of a movie prop, not an actual Luftwaffe Ju52.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back