Buchon to 109 conversion (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greg, I've seen elevated metals in oil samples without having seen it in an oil filter that's been taken apart (that is standard practice at one place I worked). If the wear particles are small (almost like a powder) you can't tell where they have come from.
In the case of the merlin above, you got lucky in that there was only one place it could have come from.

I've also seen an oil filter with pieces of metal (not wear particles) in it, but very little indication in the oil analysis. Turned out there was a bent conrod which had broken the skirt of the cylinder.
The was I see it, oil analysis is one tool, that is complimentary to visual inspection of the filter elements.

P.S. the customer who has the extended TBO has also pushed their oil change period out to 100 hours, based on oil analysis results, specifically the silicon, salt, and acid readings. So you're not just looking at metal content.

Every time they change the oil, they cut the top off the filer and pour the oil in the filter through cheesecloth.
We do that at work on all our recips. I used to do that when I owned my own plane. I also took the filter element apart and looked for 'stuff' within the element.

91081031_L.jpg

We do that at work on all our recips. I used to do that when I owned my own plane. I also took the filter element apart and looked for 'stuff' within the element.

91081031_L.jpg

That's what we did. Had a customer once who thought he could do an oil change himself (which he can) who bought us his filter because he had found metal in it. turned out the idiot had used a hack-saw to open the filter with...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back