Build Order (New to spraying paint)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SuperFire

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
TX
Hello gentlemen,

I am returning to modeling after several decades, and have purchased a Paasche Air Gun system. However, I would like to hear how some of you order your builds. Do you put it all together and then paint, or paint as you go?

Many Thanks!

Paint small parts, interiors etc first, ensuring that those areas requiring cement are either left 'bare' or the paint scraped off. Much of this painting can be done with a brush, although the use of the airbrush is personal choice.
Mainly, it's better to complete the main construction, leaving delicate parts such as landing gear, props and small antennae etc until after painting. Canopies can be masked and fitted before or after painting the main model, depending on type of fit and ease of access.
Mask all open areas of the model, such as cockpits, wheel bays, intakes etc, using Tamiya type tape, and damp tissue where needed in large open areas, ensuring that the tape edges are well sealed down - sprayed paint 'mist' will get where smoke can't !

It's often better to apply a thin primer coat of a light or medium gray first, depending on the surface and colour of the plastic, and when using acrylic paints, this is normally essential anyway.
Let this primer dry and set for at least 12 hours before spraying the main colours.
As a 'rule of thumb', light colours should be applied first, again allowing each coat to fully dry before masking and / or spraying the next colour.

Once the model has been painted, and then had a gloss clear coat which is allowed to fully harden, the decals can be applied.
When the decals are fully bedded down and set, a further 'sealing coat' of clear gloss is applied, followed, once dry, by the desired finish clear coat.
With all of the paint, clear coats and decals fully set, the remaining 'sticky out' parts can be fitted.

The pic below shows my current build ready to be masked for spraying.

Bf110 Dackle build 148.JPG

Last edited:
Mostly paint as you go except for large pieces like wings & fuselage which I paint ahead of time before assembly. You'll have some touch-up to do afterward but IMHO it is easier to paint them when they're alone and I don't have to worry about over spray. The fuselage seam is another story. Dry fit and look for any mis-match. If you have large gaps that need filling wait on painting til filled and smoothed then paint. For a cammo piece paint the lightest color over the entire piece then the other colors will go over that either freehand if you want soft blurred edges or with paper/tape masking for sharp edges. Again I do this before assembly. The pieces are so much easier to maneuver and no overspray worries.
As for the rest check the fit and look for clearance around the piece. If there is enough room to work you can paint after assembly but for a tight fit in a small area paint before you assemble. Small pieces are easier to get to and paint all their sides while they're on the tree, Cutting them out leaves small areas to touch up but you'd have the same problem cutting them out first then holding them with a forceps to paint them.
Lastly I'm a proponent of not worrying about areas that will never be seen once the model is closed up. Many companies go to a lot of effort to include interior details totally lost to view once the model is closed up. My opinion: Why bother, spend your time and effort of what can be seen.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me how you go about it. It all makes perfect sense. Much obliged guys!

One of the considerations that haven't been mentioned yet would be... what kind of airbrush did you get? I have three airbrushes: Paasche H, Paasche V and an Iwata HP-CS Plus. I use the Iwata 99.99 % of the time. Not necessarily because it sprays any better. I REALLY like it, because it has a gravity cup for the paint and it is very easy to (a) shoot small amounts of paint and (b) rinse/clean for the next color. I commonly put one or two drops into the Iwata to paint small things. The Paasche airbrush are siphon-feed (little cups attached to the airbrush via a narrow tube) and these are much harder to clean and also will not shoot such small quantities of paint. So... if you have a siphon-feed airbrush like a Paasche H or V, you may want to "bundle" objects to be painted in a certain color to minimize wasting paint and cleaning of the airbrush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back