Cadet Band

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
While at CTD ( College Training Detachment), Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana I had the pleasure of playing in the Base Band. It was under the direction of Captain Schultz who was outstanding. We practiced every Wednesday evening for the Friday formal retreat and scheduled concerts. He was demanding in that march music would be distributed, play it one time, music picked up and from that time on we played from memory. Didn't hit every note dead center but close enough. Band members didn't have to do mundane things like guard duty etc. It was an enjoyable time.:)
20180521_020645.jpg

More Stories! Keep 'em coming!:) Honestly I've learned more from your postings about what life was like at the time than from any book reading. Informative and entertaining at the same time. Today's authors just seem happy rehashing the previous writer's errors and that only gets worse the further you go back in years.You guys are the ONLY true source of information that I trust anymore! While I know you are reticent to actual write a book,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE just sit down in front of a camera and tell your tales at your own pace. Let someone else do the hard work of sorting it out. Someone I know had a dad that flew 75(!!!) missions on B-25H/Js in the CBI and to this day regrets never having any records of his father's experiences. Similarly when I worked the air shows down the east coast with the 4th FG vets I foolishly never had the foresight to record their adventures in the air and on the ground:facepalm:. All those stories are being lost with my failing memory (Jimmy flying a "jewish" Spitfire over Europe is till my favorite). Please don't make the same mistakes we did. Your kids will forever be grateful as well as the rest of us who have a passion for this era and the brave young kids that stepped up to a nation in need and become part of the "greatest generation".
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as preachy, just really passionate about preserving history accurately...

Sounds like a rewarding time and an activity designed to inspire confidence and unity.

That said it also sounds like ya got to "toot yer own horn", always a good thing for self growth\\:D/
:laughing6:
It was both a challenge and a fun time. Coming from a small high school band numbering 27 pieces to playing first baritone in what was reported to be the largest military band of WWII was unbelievable. The band photo does not show the unit at full strength. Actually, the concert band numbered 145 and the marching 125.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back