CAF A6M2-21 Zero for Sale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The biggest problem with it was that when they did the recovery, the cut the wings off, including cutting right through the spar. When it was restored, they welded the spar back together. That's a no-no and it is fortunate that no one was hurt, or worse flying it. When the CAF acquired it and the inspection began, they found the welded spar. That instantly grounded the airplane. It sat like that for quite a while and some minor corrosion work was done on it while it was decided what to do with it.

Other than that, it wasn't too bad. It did fly in to Camarillo before being grounded.

Evan wrote:

The biggest problem with it was that when they did the recovery, the cut the wings off, including cutting right through the spar. When it was restored, they welded the spar back together. That's a no-no and it is fortunate that no one was hurt, or worse flying it. When the CAF acquired it and the inspection began, they found the welded spar. That instantly grounded the airplane. It sat like that for quite a while and some minor corrosion work was done on it while it was decided what to do with it.

Other than that, it wasn't too bad. It did fly in to Camarillo before being grounded.

How original is it? Were there any odd home made things put in?Is the skin all new, or did it use original? Are the formers and ribs in fuselage new or remanufactured? In a photo I saw that some of the fuselage skin was removed. What for? Just curious.

The cockpit looks like it had some crude home made furnishings in it too.

Harvard said:
The cockpit looks like it had some crude home made furnishings in it too.

What are you referring to? That cockpit is beautiful cosidering it was "modernized" and the gunsight omitted. The only thing a bit crude is the installation of an old 360 channel NAV/COM mounted sideways toward the bottom of the center lower panel...
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Id fly it....
When repairs like this are done a "Designated Engineering Representative" (DER) who is an FAA appointed engineer that provides engineering services to civil operators comes up with a repair scheme. It seems that this repair was done without DER approval and it was very smart of the museum folks to stop flying this aircraft. I would guess if this repair was accomplished the DER would of limited its G loading to +3.5/ -1.5 which is the same for light GA aircraft.

Harvard,

The A6M2 Zero is pretty much original. It has a ton of Japanese parts in it. Basically the fuselage, including the tail section, landing gear, and most of the wing is original 1940s Japanese parts. The engine, cowling, prop, and spinner are not original. The wings have had some repair work done due to the sawing of the wings. They also removed the folding wingtips. And I believe the fuselage skin was removed because they needed to replace some stringers due to corrosion.

Many things in that cockpit are original. It just looks odd because of the paint and newer instruments. The seat, rudder pedals, panel the instruments are mounted on, and various other handles and knobs are original. And it used to have a gunsight in it, but we put that in the A6M3 Zero.

Take a look at this website. It has many accurate drawings of the A6M3 Zero which woould also apply to the A6M2.
http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/Zeke32.htm

Eric

A6M3 said:
Mojave Airport! I think it's a great airport!

I used to work and fly out of there - oh yea, it's a great airport, not the same Since Dan Sabovitch passed away....

Do you know Al Hansen out there?

I came across some old photos of when the A6M2 Zero came to Camarillo. It don't know what year off the top of my head, but sometime between 1996 to 1998.

5054e408.gif

The Zero is still in one piece here, so this was probably taken soon after it was flown in.
c9763678.gif

Cowling and spinner removed.
a397265b.gif

After they re-skinned the tail.
cf121ff8.gif

This shot was taken after they started digging into the aircraft, probably before the problem with the spar was found.

Eric

A6M3 said:
No, I don't know Al Hansen. What does he do?

He's the guy on the west end with all the war birds, he has several hueys, F-86s, he used to have a PBY as well.

I used to do a lot of side work for some of the guys there with warbirds and helicopters,

I also used to work at both Avtel and BAE right there on the airport..

I've seen his planes, but did not know who owned them. I don't spend too much time at Mojave, mostly Camarillo.

Eric

A6M3 said:
I've seen his planes, but did not know who owned them. I don't spend too much time at Mojave, mostly Camarillo.

Eric

If you ever get by and see him, he's a real nice guy...

Do you fly the T-28s at Camarillo?

FLYBOYJ said:
A6M3 said:

Eric

I'm a student pilot right now. I fly a T-34 owned by a friend. Gotten stick time in the T-6. Someday I'd like to fly the T-28.

Eric

A6M3 said:
FLYBOYJ said:
A6M3 said:

Eric

I'm a student pilot right now. I fly a T-34. Gotten stick time in the T-6. Someday I'd like to fly the T-28.

Eric

Hey that's great! I got about 60 hours in the T-34, I used to fly the Edwards Aero Club T-34...

A friend of mine is an FAA examiner on the T-28, he used to go out there a lot to check some of those guys out, he has an L-29 that I get to fly once and a while.

FLYBOYJ said:
When repairs like this are done a "Designated Engineering Representative" (DER) who is an FAA appointed engineer that provides engineering services to civil operators comes up with a repair scheme. It seems that this repair was done without DER approval and it was very smart of the museum folks to stop flying this aircraft. I would guess if this repair was accomplished the DER would of limited its G loading to +3.5/ -1.5 which is the same for light GA aircraft.

I was just joking around about that is why I put the ..... after it.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
FLYBOYJ said:

I was just joking around about that is why I put the ..... after it.

Come on Alder - you fly helicopters, what's a little welded spar repair?!? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back