CAF Ceremony - Arizona

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sabrina

Airman 1st Class
I don't know if any of you live in the Phoenix area of Arizona, but I'm going to this event tomorrow in Mesa. Found out about it at the last moment and can't miss it.

"A Gathering of Legends"
Arizona Wing of the CAF - Welcome to our site!

Bud Anderson is going to be there among many others....I've written about him, will be great to meet him in person.

Of special interest to me right now is meeting some of the WASP's (Women Airforce Service Pilots) of WWII since it will have a part in the fiction project I'm working on right now. I'm glad I found this when I did...it's about 27 min. from my place in Chandler.

This morning was terrific. I didn't know enough ahead of time, so I didn't get a media pass, and by the time I got there (early) the parking lot was full, as well as the adjoining fire department and department store parking lots. I wound up parking way the heck up the road and climbing a wall to get to it...haha.

Looks like I was attacked by a dog on the way over because my leg was all scraped up by straifing the wall. :) :) A guy approached me and said, "Ma'am, have you seen that commercial where the guy goes to the hospital with the dog still hanging off of his arm? That's kind of what you look like. Looks like that hurts."

I got to shake hands with Bud Anderson and have him autograph my copy of his book, To Fly and Fight. I also shook hands and chatted with some of the Tuskegee Airmen....all in all, a really inspiring day. So glad I saw this at the last moment.

Also...so incredible...I met a WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilot) who is still gorgeous and sharp and witty in her late eighties. Once I introduced myself and explained my project, she gave me her card and agreed to be a correspondent for the book. WOW. It'll add some terrific detail and validity to the fiction.

The ceremony was beautiful, and I wiped tears throughout the entire thing. Then there were some P-51 flyovers and a nice static display.

I'll post some airplane pics in a bit.

___

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 62
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 60
....actually, there's not. I should be ashamed of myself...I'm a professional and I only snapped a few. :( I didn't want to take any shots inside because of the ceremony, the crowds, etc. Too bad I didn't get a pic with me and Col. Bud Anderson. :)

That's it?? That's all you took?
pi_freak.gif

Just kiddin'! :lol:

But that would have been super cool to have had your photo taken with Bud Anderson, hopefully, there'll be another opportunity next year!

Last edited:
GREAT shots!! Too bad the P.R guy there doesn't want our period ground crew display set up, HQ of the CAF loves us but seems Larry has his own ideas. All well, great shots again!!!

Scott

Thanks, I appreciate it!It was a great event and I'm always more than happy to cover any aviation-related events or stories for my magazine or just for fun...tides me over until I start flying again! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back