Campini jet. Really a jet?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sagittario64

Airman 1st Class
Nov 21, 2011
Michigan
we all know the campini N.1 was a propellerless airplane, but sources clash on the definition of the plane. some say jet powered, some say the engine wasnt really a jet. can someone finally tell me in a professional manner what the N.1 is? if its not a jet, then what do you call it?

It is incorrect to say that the Campini N.1 was propeller-less. It had a propeller, it was just ducted (ie not external). A jet generates thrust by the rapid expansion of an ignited fuel-air mix that is directed, and hence focused (in effect, amplified in a given direction) by the airflow through the engine. The Campini had a regular reciprocating piston engine driving a propeller - there was no jet thrust.

Then if the prop was internal, could you classify it as a turbofan? turbofans sort of work the same way

this is exactly what im talking about
theres nowhere near a majority consensus on whether the N.1 was a jet or not. half of who i talk to say yes, half say no

I think it was more "jet" than anything else. The piston engine replaced the turbine section of a conventional jet engine. The piston engine drove the compressor stage to bring air into the fuselage and compress it. The compressor stage was much more than a conventional propeller. I believe you had fixed inlet guide vanes followed by a three-stage compressor. In a text that I have, it states the stator blade pitch was variable in flight and the rotor blade pitch was ground adjustable. The air then passed through a radiator, around the piston engine, and toward the back of the aircraft where there was an "afterburner" type devise that injected and ignited fuel.

It was not a turbojet, or a fanjet, or a propjet. It was a motorjet. If you look at the cutaway linked below I think you will see that it is much more like a jet than anything else. Just view the entire fuselage as the "engine" and everything in it the internals. You have a compressor stage, the turbine (engine) which turns the compressor stage, and the afterburner.

http://information2share.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/caproni-campini-cc-2.jpg

But hey, that's just my opinion.

It has been described as a thermojet.

The original prototype had the ducted fan powered by a small radial engine (less than 1000hp). The heat from the engine added to the thrust of the air from the compressor, then they also had the afterburner.

When I looked at the photo linked above I thought the burner would be lit all the time - it would seem this is not the case.

The ancestor.....

Stipa-Caproni41.jpg

we all know the campini N.1 was a propellerless airplane, but sources clash on the definition of the plane. some say jet powered, some say the engine wasnt really a jet. can someone finally tell me in a professional manner what the N.1 is? if its not a jet, then what do you call it?

It's a jet, however it is not a turbo-jet because it lacks a turbine as the compressor is driven by a piston engine. Had campini installed a better piston engine with a two speed surpercharger instead of no supercharger at all the Campini might have show extraordinary performance.

I regard it as a jet as the reaction liberated the aircraft from mach and compressibillity effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back