Jet Lancaster range?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember using MEK straight out of the can, to get the stickum residue off the gas tanks of the big rigs I used to work on.
Dangerous stuff. We were required to where long gloves, safety glasses and a resperator to use the stuff.
We poured it straight out of the metal 5 gallon can into the rag.

No gloves, ppe or eye wear... :grimacing:

Bacon is said to cause cancer, as well.

Though I have been exposed to bacon far longer than MEK.

And bacon smells better, too...

Smoked meats of all sorts are linked to various cancers.

That don't stop me. I drive by a pig farm, those hogs go runnin' for cover. Nothing like a good smoked centercut loin.

but the Germans have dozens of pork recipes that come very close

Yabut this, from my porch:

smoked pork.jpg

Last edited:
It's a known cancer causing agent....if you got enough on your skin, enough times, it was nice knowin' ya.
I saw a documentary on changes in industry. There was an old guy who used to clean out asbestos powder when it blocked a flue pipe in the factory he worked at. They explained the dangers of asbestos and asked him if he would still do that job knowing what he now knows "not without danger money" was his reply.

The old "can of hair spray and cigarette lighter" is loads of fun and it's super easy to acquire.

Fun, sure, but probably not particularly effective beyond scorching the surface.

Trying to get rid of subterranean ant nests as a kid I found that while gasoline was superficially effective (not lighting on fire, just pouring it into the ground) it's too volatile. Diesel was better as it penetrated deeper into the nest without evaporating.

EDIT: My homemade "napalm" (dissolve styrofoam into gasoline until saturated) that I also made as a kid could have worked for ant nests, but I never tried that one.

(hopefully kids these days are smarter.. 🙄)

Last edited:
The best stuff for red ants was methyl chloroform sold as ant killer and in spray cans as brake cleaner. It was outlawed 1986 as an air pollutant, although the way it worked on ants was about an ounce at the top of the anthill penetrated all the way down. Since it was heavier than air, rocks, balls, and gliders could be classed as air pollutants, but don't tell the greenie weenies.

Well, the Tiger Force Lancasters were envisaged to have a large saddle tank:

View attachment 739788

Not suggesting it was a great idea, indeed I'm not sure how it would function in Europe. Smacks of a flying zippo lighter to me. However, such a design was in the works before the end of the war.

It did actually fly, though. A couple were sent to India in mid-1944. Love the deely-boppers on the front...no idea what they were for:

View attachment 739791
You can't just take weight out of the wings and put it into the fuselage. Torque around the wing attach point limits the distribution of weight. It's why large aircraft have zero fuel weight limits - you need the weight in the wings to balance the fuselage weight.

Do not forget that carbon tetrachloride was used in many fire extinguishers for many years - including aircraft cabins.

Thankfully we now know how bad some of those "good" things were that we and our parents used so often before we learned our lessons.
I've got a couple of CTC extinguishers sitting on my filing cabinet.
Halon 1211 isn't much better - when used on a fire it breaks down into toxic gasses. The extinguishers fitted ot Cessna 172's have a warning not to use them in an enclosed area that is smaller than the cabin.

There is often a mental disconnect between the safety data/warnings on many things and how they are used.

A post yesterday about an idiot who was still willing to work with asbestos fibres so long as he got hazard pay is a good example.

There is often a mental disconnect between the safety data/warnings on many things and how they are used.

A post yesterday about an idiot who was still willing to work with asbestos fibres so long as he got hazard pay is a good example.
When I first started work in steel in 1977 safety warnings were not only seen as a joke but a challenge to workers masculinity. Wearing helmets, glasses boots etc was frowned upon. There were all sorts of safety warnings about all sorts of things but still there were many fatal accidents and countless guys with fingers eyes or whole limbs missing. This wasnt unique to UK, in the test house in Mulheim most of the guys doing the tests had some sort of injury, the jobs were light duties, the sort of thing you can do if youve lost a hand or a foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back