Jet Lancaster range?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've got a couple of CTC extinguishers sitting on my filing cabinet.
Halon 1211 isn't much better - when used on a fire it breaks down into toxic gasses. The extinguishers fitted ot Cessna 172's have a warning not to use them in an enclosed area that is smaller than the cabin.

In the USAF, 1211 was only for engine fires -- open air. For computer rooms or other electronic areas, extinguishers with 1301, still required SCBAs.

When I first started work in steel in 1977 safety warnings were not only seen as a joke but a challenge to workers masculinity. Wearing helmets, glasses boots etc was frowned upon. There were all sorts of safety warnings about all sorts of things but still there were many fatal accidents and countless guys with fingers eyes or whole limbs missing. This wasnt unique to UK, in the test house in Mulheim most of the guys doing the tests had some sort of injury, the jobs were light duties, the sort of thing you can do if youve lost a hand or a foot.

Same in 62 when I started in aviation. When the Electra engines stopped you had to pull the prop through, overriding the prop brake, to get #1 blade top centre to check the oil level. We used to grab them before the prop brake engaged and speed them up or slow them down so they stopped at TDC. Then they showed us a film of a hostie stepping back into a rotating prop and being filleted. You would not be allowed to show that as a training video now but it sure as hell worked to stop our stupidity.

Last edited:
The best stuff for red ants was methyl chloroform sold as ant killer and in spray cans as brake cleaner. It was outlawed 1986 as an air pollutant, although the way it worked on ants was about an ounce at the top of the anthill penetrated all the way down. Since it was heavier than air, rocks, balls, and gliders could be classed as air pollutants, but don't tell the greenie weenies.
Thanks for the reminder. There was a time when Brak-Kleen was just a mild form of Carb Cleaner. :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back