Can Anyone Recognize This Plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rzwan2007

Recruit
Mar 17, 2019
Can anyone identify this plane? No need to be specific just a general identification would do.

I know this is very low quality images; these are from a 2003 Strategy game called Rise of Nations. This is the a Fighter plane of the Indian faction of the game's expansion pack. I was editing the RoN wiki page, and saw that they needed help with the identification.

I think this looks like a Yak-3 or Yak-9. But the wings looks different.

Attachments

• 123 (1).png
    123 (1).png
    10.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 123 (2).png
    123 (2).png
    34 KB · Views: 293
  • 123 (3).png
    123 (3).png
    57.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 123 (4).png
    123 (4).png
    11.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 123 (5).png
    123 (5).png
    56.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 123 (6).png
    123 (6).png
    34 KB · Views: 256
  • 123 (7).png
    123 (7).png
    12.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 123 (8).png
    123 (8).png
    32.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 123 (9).png
    123 (9).png
    39.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 123 (10).png
    123 (10).png
    40.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 123 (11).png
    123 (11).png
    36.6 KB · Views: 223
IMHO that's the matter of accuracy. That's an object created for the game and does have nothing in common with the real plane. Just it pretends a fighter plane. I would say that's the mix of parts taken from different planes. The fuselage is from Yak fighter machine while the wings look like taken form Il-2. The fuselage doesn't have the air intake for the oil radiator under the nose so it may be considered to be from Yak-3, Yak-9UT or P. However the fuselage is too bulgy and too short at the front part. Also there is lack of the small air intakes at the wing roots. The blue lightnings on the fuselage sides may indicate the Yak-3 and exclude the Yak-9 series. But as I said I wouldn't discern any real aircraft in the game model.

IMHO that's the matter of accuracy. That's an object created for the game and does have nothing in common with the real plane. Just it pretends a fighter plane. I would say that's the mix of parts taken from different planes. The fuselage is from Yak fighter machine while the wings look like taken form Il-2. The fuselage doesn't have the air intake for the oil radiator under the nose so it may be considered to be from Yak-3, Yak-9UT or P. However the fuselage is too bulgy and too short at the front part. Also there is lack of the small air intakes at the wing roots. The blue lightnings on the fuselage sides may indicate the Yak-3 and exclude the Yak-9 series. But as I said I wouldn't discern any real aircraft in the game model.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.... The game in question does sometimes combine elements from two different models. I wonder what is the most popular aircraft in the real world the Yak-3 or the Yak-9U.

Both planes appeared at the end of the WW2. There were about 3920 of Yak-9U assembled while the number of Yak-3s overrun the 4000 (among them about 600 Yak-3P that looked the same like the Yak-9U) . Both versions had the pros and cons. Yak-3 was more manoeuvre and was used for dogfights against German fighters mostly. The Yak 9 had a better range. The Yak-9U was a little bit slower initailly but later its speed was increased by powering with the better engine and slight changings to the aircraft construction. However the new engine caused troubles that weren't removed until the war end. To sum up.. both planes were comparable so it is difficult to state which one was most popular. The Polish AF used both variants at the war end and after the war for instance. Both Yaks had a quite good opinion and were liked by pilots and maintenence crews mostly.

That is a strange game. Not only did India never fly any propeller-driven fighters other than British models, they never used insignia like that. With that bubble canopy, it couldn't be a MiG-3. It looks like a really terrible job at modeling a Spitfire.

-Irish

Looks like a badly drawn Yak-3 to me. Note they've drawn the undercart folding outwards...

123 (6).png
img282.jpg

Looks like a badly drawn Yak-3 to me. Note they've drawn the undercart folding outwards...

View attachment 532810View attachment 532811
I am going to agree with Graeme (and most of the rest of youall). It does appear
the animator was going after the Yak-3. The Yak-9U/P had an aerial mast behind
the cockpit:facepalm:.

Odonavan,
I'm afraid you are incorrect sir. The Indian's most assuredly use the Yak-3 to
the fullest extent.

I give you the Indian military Yak-3:
3-yaks-pangong-tsolehindia-260nw-643221190.jpg

:cool:...:rolleyes:...:sorry::facepalm::-\"

Last edited:
Corsning:
LoL... now that was a good picture of the Indian Yak. I never would've thought of that. I'm sure it has low maintenance but the exhaust must be terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back