Can anyone tell me more about these two propellers?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jocke

Airman
Apr 14, 2011
Hello everyone!

I am member of this forum since before and got some excellent help with id of a propeller i own,
i lost my computer when moving around but now i finally found the forum again, anyhow now i have found a new propeller
for my collection, at a fleamarket me and my friend bought these two propellers.
Mine is the whole one and this is marked and dated, my friends is the on mounted on a base.
Can anyone help me identify these two? I think (guess) mine is from an klemm kl 35.

My propeller is marked with manufacturing date 27,11,43, and W-Nr 383575
also on the aluminium plaque it is marked

9 40066 17 V
GS (2966) this could also be 129661
W-Nr 383576
Motor: HM 50402
Flugz: KL35S

My friends propeller does not bear any markings.

Please see the pictures for more info and if you have any questions please let me know.

We would both be very thankfull for any help! :)

Joakim
P.S sorry for the poor quality of the pictures!
20141227_160637.jpg

10533079_10152603324646794_5805992470026423076_n.jpg

20141227_154330.jpg

20141227_154336.jpg

20141227_155823.jpg

20141227_155828.jpg

20141227_160630.jpg

Thanks for your reply Crimea_river!

After searching the web i think that i have som additional info.
On the aluminium plaque it says
Motor: HM504a2 and not 50402 as i first thought, this is for the engine Hirth HM 504-A2 that was used in Kl 35
Flugz: KL35S means probably Flugzeug KL35 Schulflugzeug, wich means Aeroplane Kl35 schoolplane.

Does anyone know if i can get the specific id of the plane by the werk nr 383576.

I wouldn't think that the WNr would be that of specific airplane but rather the prop itself. In my mind, it would be odd to match individual props to individual aircraft as they should be interchangeable across the type.

Echo Andy's post above, and yep, definitely a Klemm 35, going by the plate inscription.

Your mates prop is harder to identify - first impression is 'not Geman'. Thinking along the lines of Gloster Gladiator, or Bristol Bulldog (or similar)... will check 'Uncle Google'...

(clashed with Terry!)

Thanks for all of your replies and for taking the time to help me with my questions!
Im very happy with my prop, even if i cant find out the exact airplane it came from its wartime dated
and that is good enough for me.
This is the third in my collection, i also have an soviet ilyushin il-4 prop, and a swedish Thulin.

Joakim

No luck so far re the second prop sorry Joakim, will let you know if I can find anything out though.

About your prop, the Svenska Flygvapnet operated the Klemm 35D, as you probably know (designated Sk 15). I don't know where your prop is from (and it says Kl 35S on the inscription), but maybe it's from one of the RSwAF machines?

Hi A4K!
Yes i know about the sk 15 but chose to use the international designation so more people shold know what i was writing about.
This could be from on of the klemm the swedish airforce bought from germany during the war, but i doubt it a little bit
as there are no swedish markings on it, and usually all swedish military go crazy with putting the swedish three crowns on everything.
I am in contact with the swedish airforce museum as well to see if it can be tracked that way :)

Joakim

Just a thought could GS 2966 be the number of the aircraft, or does anyone have an idea what it could mean?

... but i doubt it a little bit as there are no swedish markings on it, and usually all swedish military go crazy with putting the swedish three crowns on everything.
Joakim

:lol:

As for the 'GS: 2966', definitely not the aircraft number. As Andy and Terry said earlier, I doubt you would ever find the individual aircraft number on such a component, being interchangable as it was.

Been trying to find out what the GS means, but no luck yet. The number looks like it might actually be '29,66' the german version of '29.66' though.

Resurrecting this thread, the top prop has a bit of a British look about it; there appears what looks like an inspector's stamp next to the date 27/11/1943 and there appears some markings to the right of the hub looking at the photo at the top, the one the cat has decided it'll take part in. I've seen the scalloped brass sheathing before and I'll have to look through the books for better recognition. One way of determining a British prop's provenance, or at least its engine type is by measuring the inside diameter of the centre hole and the circumference of the centre of the bolt holes around it and the number of bolt holes. There are eight in this case, so you can take that as half D. The next step is by contacting a museum or some one who has a sheet with the applicable information on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back