Can I be an honorary Englishman?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
At my work, they have always supplied the office with free drinks. They have Coke, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, 7-Up, Hawaiian Punch, Diet drinks, coffee, apple cider, hot chocolate, and latee.

Well, recently, they also started to include tea's. Now, it's all I drink. I have 6-8 cups a day and also have a cup before bedtime. I also think I'm developing an accent. But I have to ask, is drinking tea with cream common?

Attachments

• IMG00062.jpg
    IMG00062.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 253
Geese..... I don't see any Oolong tea, my favorite. That needs to be
rectified, TL. What would the Chinese say ?

Were it in my power, I would make you an Englishman (by proxy).

Charles

In Britain, it's largely milk that's used. I bet you're bouncing off the walls with that amount of tea. And get some PG Tips down you, lad !

Well its Jolly Good to see that there ARE some Standards still to be had in the former colonies, what?

However, at this point please consider yourself a probationary Englishman Thorlifter old chap; but there's time enough for you to complete the transition successfully. After all, no need to rush things; no, rushing things only worries The Men don't you know? As a 'self improver' you have made an admirable start.

However, no real Englishman would take tea with cream. Simple milk is what is added (first) to the Cup (WITH saucer I should add, NEVER a mug) and the Indian tea, usually from what was Ceylon (correctly brewed, of course – none of that tea-bag nonsense; good heavens no, that would never do), added to create the "the cup that cheers but does not inebriate". Consumed by the gallon, THIS is the staple that made England great.

Of course, some teas should not be taken with milk at all, but with a slice of Lemon. If you wish to complete the Englishmen's Tea Course you will have advance to Earl Grey – definitely an acquired taste, but worth the effort.

Then we'll move on to advanced things like Crumpet, Tea Cake and Muffin* toasting in front of a roaring open fire on a cold January afternoon………

Finally, keep working on the accent. Damned difficult to start from scratch – usually has to be acquired after simply years of (inter)breeding.

Good luck – pip-pip!

*no, not one of those giant cake-like thingys that you get in Starbucks, but a real Muffin, toasted until golden brown and dripping with real melted butter. And if you are really posh, spread with Wild English Honey……..but the least said about HER, the better!

Hahaha ! And Earl Grey is vile.

Once you've got the gentleman side of being English, I'll have to educate you on being truly English. Like the fighting style - keys between the knuckles and windmill your way through the crowd - stuff like that.

It was a type, I meant to say "Earl Grey is not vile" the not got lost...in the word losing ..place. I covered it well.

Now that looks like a nice day, Downwind.

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll not use cream anymore, but milk. I look forward to completing my probationary time with all the dignity and high brow of a good English gentleman.

I've alway heard that the American tea bag is not considered "real" tea, but I can't argue with free tea. But I'll make a run to our local Whole Foods and get some they sell by the ounce.

Well, golly good, pip pip, and have a merry day.:p

As a Texan, I am shocked that you are asking to become an honorary Englishman. You should be having beer and BBQ or Tex-Mex for everyone.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back