Can we add texture to paint??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Tamiya makes a textured Dio paint in a bunch of colors. But @ 20 bucks for 100ml it's a little steep for the bits I need.

Anyone ever made a textured paint out of acrylic or enamels?
Some of you Tank modelers surely have done something like what I need.
I am intending to add mud and moss to my lake bound Brewster, posted as an Unofficial GB project.

Appreciate any help,

Bill:|

I've made 'mud', both dried and 'wet', by adding talcum powder to enamel paint. It's a similar principle to making a thin filler, or a sealer for wood grain, but the amount of talc is varied as needed, to give the desired 'thickness'.
You'll find that the colour may dry with a greyish tinge, but, once fully hardened, can be painted over. For dust and 'thin' dried mud, or other effects such as moss etc, I use the 'scatter' materials, designed to be used as earth, grass etc., by railway modellers. These are basically very fine sawdust, dyed the appropriate colour.

I went to Youtube the other night. looked for model painting. Found a bloke who was applying thinned white glue to the underside of a fender, then piling powdered pigments on top. Gave me the idea of mixing powdered pigments with white glue, itty bitty batched of course and dribbling it over the surface of the wings and fuselage. Greenish to look like moss and weeds, brownish for mud. May do a test.

Yep, that's the way I've used the 'scatter' materials previously mentioned, it's basically the same principal, but cheaper than some of the 'weathering pigments' on the market. You can also use real earth of course, dried, then crushed to a fine dust, and applied in a similar fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back