Cars named after (or same as) WW2 and 1950s aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Could be either a Ford Ranger (USS Ranger CV-4) or a Lincoln (USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72).

There's your bacon!

I did drive a 74 Lincoln for about a month while my own car was in the shop after an accident. I swear, there were planes from Pt Mugu (right down the road) lining up in the groove over the hood. I needed binoculars to see the ornament.

Last edited:
I remember driving my friends fathers 1968 full size Mercury. It handled like an aircraft carrier.
Hi,

Hopefully not getting too far off topic, but my first car was a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere. Its name doesn't have any avaition or nautical connections, but I used to jike that its trunkwas big and wide enough to land a helicopter on it, and on more than a few occasions wondered what it would look like if I painted the trunk dark gray with landing markings

Ahem

And the Curtiss A-12
Curtiss actually used that name for several of their types, just as they used the name "Hawk" for several types.

And of course, Studebaker had a Hawk model line.

Studebaker also had a Lark model, which happens to be the name of a civilian flyable version of the Culver PQ-8 drone.

And speaking of USAAF attack types, Northrop produced a type named Nomad - sound familiar?

Incidentally, Bristol must be unique in building both car and aircraft with the same name.

Obviously those such as SAAB, FIAT, Mitsubishi etc have built cars and aircraft but I think Bristol is alone in that one accolade.
Post WWII, GM took over Kansas City, Kansas' B-25 plant, located on Fairfax Field, next to the Missouri. Come Korea, the government wanted it back and GM countered by offering to build an adjacent plant, in less time and cost, upgrading logistics to handle both.
They wound up building Republic F-84Fs on one side of the wall, while Olds, Pontiac and Buick station wagons ran down the line a few feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread