CFS 1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi,

let me introduce myself: I'm one of JG57 virtual pilots. CFS1 is probably one of the most open and well-documented PC-sim ever. More than a game, it's now a virtual platform allowing any addition or modification, which is great as a basis for advanced wargames, not just playing the game 'from the box'.
Despite its 'built-in' limitations, with recent hardware, CFS1 allows using far more detailed and realistic a/c than the default crap you find in the CD.
Check the screeny I've attached.

As for reliability, I have to admit I agree about the Me262; this aircraft killed more of its pilots from engine failures than Allies did. But though, it was an incredibly advanced machine for its time and a beautiful aircraft to fly.

Attachments

• Bf109G14_StabJG57_02b.jpg
    Bf109G14_StabJG57_02b.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 70
Really, the only thing I didn't like about CFS1 was the lilac sky and not-very-convincing clouds. I know that there is a blue sky modification, but that made the horizon look nasty.

Then the buildings which disappear without leaving wreckage! But all in all, you've put your finger on the great advantage of all the MS (C)FS series - you can change everything, make anything, etc, just as you want. Other sims are miles away on that one!

There is also a set of upgraded textures for clouds now, and the 'CFO weather' addon allows multi-layer clouds, winter or fall textures and more detailed weather and wind conditions (but no rain though...)

Sure about the possibility to add anything in CFS1; you can add any scenery you want and extend the game with no limits, which allows building what video game companies usually won't think is worth, like small countries and their airforces, and simulate the invasion of Albania by Italians for example, or combats between English and French Vichy forces in the middle-east, well the kind of small theaters of operation that are usually discarded, but of interest for guys like me who like WWII history in details. This is one of the reasons why I still fly CFS1, but being a 3D modeller on 3dsmax, I must admit I'm rather tempted by building aircraft for CFS3. By the way, is Gmax still available? guess I must have a version of it somewhere in one of my HDs, but not even sure; and where can I get export plugins for CFS3?

where can I get export plugins for CFS3?

MS CFS3 SDK - go to the MS site, and you'll find all you need. If you can't, I must have a copy somewhere... but where???

OK thanks; now I got the SDK, but Discreet has stopped distributing Gmax :(
So, hope I still have a Gmax setup copy somewhere in my HDs.
Anyway, maybe the plugins work with 3dsmax don't they? that would be great. I currently use 3dsmax7; haven't tried Max8 or 9 yet. What's sure is some Max versions are crappy; remember Max6??? so I always wait several months before upgrading, so all bugs are reported, documented and fixed.

i thought i was the only one playing that still! i likee it but i never liked the not very good quality of the scenary and the planes,but its an old game but still enjoyable

Sure it is!
Do you usually fly a P51? doesn't matter anyway, come and join us on Hyperlobby one of these days.
See links above. C ya soon in the virtual sky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back