Check this bird out!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Adler,

The XP-47M was a mid 1943 design. P-47M's were comming off the production line in summer and fall 1944. M's came off the production lines back in the Summer 1944. "Rushed into service" for a USA late war fighter meant less than 6 months from first unit produced to first sortie.

Although the P-47N had been designed for the Pacific theatre, early production of the variant was sent to England, though the war ended before they could see much action.
http://www.vectorsite.net/avp47.html#m7

There is conflicting information regaurding the N having seen action in the ETO. Some sources say it did not, some say it did in very small numbers, perhaps as a combat trials plane. Elsewhere I've seen it claimed a small number of N's flew right along side the M's in the last month or so of the war.

=S=

Lunatic

I am not sure on the N's, I just have not seen any sources that say it deffinatly did see service in the ETO. As I said above thought it may have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back