Cherry Blossoms 2012

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
It was a beautiful day today and I could enjoy cherry blossoms in old temple of my neighbourhood.
Please let me share several shots with you all.
Thanks!

02.JPG
01.JPG

Thanks GG and Vic!
After one year from the devastating earthquake, those flowers look more beautiful than ever.
Please let me introduce you more.

03.JPG
04.JPG

Thanks Aaron! I'm glad you enjoy:)
Next three photos were taken about a week ago by my old film camera.
Flowers looked more pinkish as there were many buds.

34RS.JPG
32RS.JPG
33RS.JPG

Thanks Gnomey, Eric, proton45, GG and Thor!

In addition, I think I had come across an old American house on my way home which reminded me of my old days in Sendai City where US military camp was.
The house design looked same one as I remembered.

According to my quick research later, U.S. military personnels once stayed in the area from 1945 to 1947.
The area is about five minutes walk from Osaka City Museum. The Museum was once used as a cultural facility for US citizens soon after WW2.

I missed the house design anyway.

11.JPG
10.JPG

Thanks Merv and Eric for your kind comments!

In my memories, those American houses were painted in white with the window frames in green.
The white wooden walls represented a symbol of freedom and new era for us Japanese kids, and maybe for grownups too.

I don't know who owns this house but he or she seems enjoying his/her old days...

DSC02087_trimmed.JPG

Thanks for your question, Erich.
I am not necessarily familiar with flower/tree names but I know there are five kinds of cherries in my old temple - Shitennoji Temple.
They are -

Somei Yoshino(Prunus yedoensis)
Shidare Zakura(Weeping cherry)
Yae Zakura(Double-flowered cherry tree)
Yamazakura(Cherry)
Hachisukazakura

I've found many cherry trees with whitish flowers there.
As 70% of the cherries in Japan is said Somei Yoshino, I think they are it as you pointed out.

Following photos show others.
The first one is remarkably Shidare Zakura(Weeping cherry).
The second looks a little differently from Somei Yoshino but probably still Somei Yoshino.
The third one would be Yamazakura(Cherry) as it looks wild species.
The last one is, I guess, Yae Zakura(Double-flowered cherry tree).
I don't know where the Hachisukazakura is.

00.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back