Choice of Names for JSF Narrows

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

amazing work there R988!

I like the insect theme... Wasp would be good ex this was/is a carrier....?

Meanwhile it seems to me the RN doesn't need the JSF it has more punch than ever... maybe ahead of the yanks when it brings the Apache aboard... wow imagine what those beasties will be able to do!

UK carrier force is readied for strike

By Richard Scott Jane's Naval Consultant

A decade after the extended carrier roulement off former Yugoslavia came to an end, the character of UK carrier aviation has changed substantially. Perhaps the most telling difference is the accent on delivering a recognisably joint, rather than purely naval, capability.

In the first instance, the Carrier Air Group (CAG) is no more; instead, the CVS-class HMS Invincible now embarks a Tailored Air Group (TAG): an embarked aviation package assembled from suitably configured Fleet Air Arm, Royal Air Force (RAF) and/or Army Air Corps assets to suit a specific operation or campaign. Options for the TAG include the Harrier GR.7/7A ground attack aircraft (with the upgraded GR.9/9A entering service from 2007); the Sea King ASaC.7 airborne surveillance and control helicopter; the Merlin HM.1 maritime helicopter; the Sea King HC.4 medium support helicopter; the Chinook HC.2 support helicopter; and, in the near future, the Apache AH.1 attack helicopter.
now read on...
http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_forces/news/idr/idr060607_1_n.shtml

I kinda like Reaper. Cyclone isn't all that bad IMO either. If, IF Canada ever procures the F-35 (stranger things have happened y'know :dontknow: ), we'd have to call it something else because the new Navy helos are already to be called the Cyclone. Hmmm, maybe the Nonskimmer. Yeah! :D

...Nah. ;)

Maybe they could go further with the anti sub line like Viking or Orion... good 'hard' names. How about Goth or Vandal? There must be a macho name out there which has yet to be used...
Some of the best plane names have not been real words at all - like Thunderchief, Skywarrior or Starfighter and some great planes have never had an official name, like the F-111. Lockheed has some odd choices over the years - like their transports. C130 Hercules is appropriate but Galaxy or Starlifter and a bit dumb.

How about Lockheed 'Overbudget' that would suit just about any military plane!

Royzee617 said:
How about Lockheed 'Overbudget' that would suit just about any military plane!

The F-117 was delivered on time and UNDERBUGDET. Sticking to budget during military aircraft development and manufacture is almost impossible, the biggest problem is te government changing requirements at a moment's notice.

I am currently working on a UK Government (non military) Project and can confirm suprise, suprise that the same problems happen on this side of the pond.

For my sins I am the Problem manager, so there is no danger of me running out of work.

I knew somebody who worked on the ADV's radar at GECM and what a PITA that was for the engineers trying to keep up with ministry types changing a spec they hadn't thought through in the first place.... same for the TSR2 apparently. Why a range of 1000 miles? A bit less and the design was easier etc etc but no, it had to be the 1000 miles. Prats.

Other names came to me, I like Remora and Barracuda, ocean-going and well-hard (as my kids might say). Or how about the Lockheed Mitchell...? Not the B25 but rather the Eastenders toughies...

But the old FAA Barracuda was a beast. My old Physics teacher flew them in the war. When he told us that we had a lot more respect for him. About as ugly as JSF too.

Actually considering how big a galaxy is and how much that plane could lift it was appropriate at the time the C-5 Galaxy was named. We are talking about something that can lift I think it is something like 2x what the next biggest lifter in the USAF inventory the Starlifter can carry. I know it is now superceded so any name will have to consider potential future events.

I like 'Sabbath' as a name, because that is what the JSF isn't going to be! Maybe 'Tsunami' for the NAVY version.

well, how original and downright stoopid can you get.....?
JSF named 'Lightning II'
The first F-35 Joint Strike Fighter was unveiled Friday at Lockheed Martin's facility in Texas. Although prototypes, like the one shown here, have been tested for years, the first flight of the Lightning II is scheduled for this fall. — Photo by Tom Reynolds

With a nod to Air Force history, the service's chief of staff has dubbed the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter "Lightning II."

Gen. T. Michael Moseley announced the decision Friday at the Lockheed Martin facility in Fort Worth, Texas, where the stealthy multi-role fighter is made. He based the decision on input received from airmen as well as the other services and coalition partners involved in the JSF program, said Maj. Glen Roberts, a spokesman for the general.

The P-38 Lightning, the JSF's namesake, was designed in the late 1930s and was used during World War II. The Air Force's top two aces, Richard Bong and Thomas McGuire, both flew the Lightning, amassing 78 kills between them in the plane, Roberts said.

The name also refers to a supersonic British jet called the Lightning, built in the 1950s by English Electric. English Electric eventually became BAE Systems, an industry partner on the program.

Moseley considered five other names: Mamba, Cyclone, Piasa, Reaper and Spitfire II.

Friday's ceremony also marked the first public unveiling of the F-35A, the conventional take-off-and-landing variant. The aircraft rolled off the production line in February and has been involved in ground tests since, said Lockheed Martin F-35 spokesman John Kent.

First flight of the aircraft is scheduled for late October or early November, Kent added.

Nonskimmer said:
I kinda like Reaper. Cyclone isn't all that bad IMO either. If, IF Canada ever procures the F-35 (stranger things have happened y'know :dontknow: ), we'd have to call it something else because the new Navy helos are already to be called the Cyclone. Hmmm, maybe the Nonskimmer. Yeah! :D

...Nah. ;)
I actually heard we were getting the EF-2000's not the F35
Theyd call it the Brian Mulroney before they ever called it Nonskimmer. :)

Did you know that technically the CF-18 is not designated the Hornet? its because theres no french word for Hornet.

According to online translators the French word for Hornet is Frelon?

Anyway back on topic, Lightning II is a crap name, typical unimaginitive gimps. I'm sure it will acquire a more appropriate unofficial name soon enough though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back