Choice of Names for JSF Narrows

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Call it Berserker . Actually, Reaper is pretty cool.

It should go into service under the user's national designation. Give it a few years in service and let those who fly and maintain it give it its name.

Yes, 'Reaper' sounds good.

We wondered about 'Osprey' but of course that's gone.

Or Corsair III - the improved s/s Corsair was, ironically, called the 'Strikefighter'. But was not accepted for shame. So maybe that name's possible.

there was a large British Flying boat named Corsair that pre-dates the F4U which you might have thought about...........

and the americans aren't seriously considdering Spitfire II are they?

Glider said:
I will now dive for cover
LOL! We'll see when the first F-35 gets delivered....eventually!

On the X-35's first flight it sucked the gear up and went supersonic. A lot more thought went into that aircraft than the F-22, as a matter of fact the X(F)-35 is just lessons learned from the F-22 in many areas...

Royzee617 said:
Gottit!
Piranha!

Funny I was just thinking that myself then I got to your post :)

Another on on the meteorological events how about Storm?

Fits in well enough with Typhoon, Tornado, Lightning, Thunderbolt etc

I cant think of anything else called Storm, except perhaps the IL-2 Sturmovik which I think means Storm Bird.

dude, Thunderbolt could be okay, I mean look at how many planes use that name? I'm sure few would really mind that much

FLYBOYJ said:
LOL! We'll see when the first F-35 gets delivered....eventually!

On the X-35's first flight it sucked the gear up and went supersonic. A lot more thought went into that aircraft than the F-22, as a matter of fact the X(F)-35 is just lessons learned from the F-22 in many areas...

Very True! We were often told that something was a problem on the F-22 and we will not do it that way on the F-35! Example: the distance between circuit board cards were reduced for the F-22 in order to get more functionality. This turned out to be VERY expensive due to the inability to use comerical off-the-shelf components (COTS). Every card was a special design for the F-22, even down to the components. The F-35 was expressly required to use a space that was compatable with COTS.

Going back to names, If you want to stick with storms no one seems to have mentioned Hurricane or Tempest.
Pretty confident the UK wouldn't disagree.

Good 'hard' names... unlike Rafale which I have always thought wimpy.
Gripen is a kind of bird of prey I suppose. So they won't use Griffin for the JSF I suspect.

Tempest would sit nicely alongside Typhoon too.

Though it has modern usage in the proofing against EMP.

One thing the folks like about the Typhoon is its maintainability compared to the Tornado and that was supposed to be pretty good over the Lightning and F4.

Another twist in the JSF saga:
Israel's full participation in a U.S.-led advanced warplane project has been held up as both sides hammer out a deal on limiting the transfer of sensitive military technology, a senior Israeli official said on June 8.
The Jewish state's role in the multi-billion-dollar F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) project was briefly curbed last year after the Pentagon came out against Israeli arms exports to China, which it argued could threaten U.S. ally Taiwan.
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=1857643&C=mideast
Tom Burbage, executive vice president of Lockheed Martin, predicted that F-35s would cost around $46 million each and would be available to foreign partners by 2014. Other estimates put the cost of the fighter-bombers at as much as $100 million.
The Jerusalem Post reported last week that Israel, seeking boosted capabilities in the face of arch-foe Iran's nuclear program and anticipating delays in the F-35 project, could instead buy a new fleet of the less advanced F-15 warplane.
That'll mean some interesting twists in the name! I like IAF names for western planes - Kurnass, Nesher etc.

Royzee617 said:
The Jerusalem Post reported last week that Israel, seeking boosted capabilities in the face of arch-foe Iran's nuclear program and anticipating delays in the F-35 project, could instead buy a new fleet of the less advanced F-15 warplane.
The decision would have to be made quickly. The F-15 production line is set to close in 2010, and once a production line closes (especially a fighter) it doesn't get resurrected very easily.

Gripen, meaning Giffin in english, is a mythological creature with the body of a lion and the head wings of an eagle.

Other Swedish aircraft names are Drakken meaning Dragon (we had that yet?) and Viggen, meaning lightning or thunderbolt, I forget which exactly.

Corsair has already been reused on the A-7 relatively recently.

I think mythical creatures could be quite good, TVR name most of their cars after them.

Chimera
Monster with three heads- a goat, a lion, and a dragon (or serpent) for a tail. The Chimera supposedly breathed fire.

Hydra
A serpent/dragon with multiple heads (generally 7 or 9 heads.)

Serpent (Sea Serpent for Naval versions)

Centaur
Half horse, half man.

Satyr
Half man, Half goat. Bearded, sometimes with horns or goat's ears.

Caladrius
A white bird that can predict if a sick person will live or die. If the person is going to die, the bird will look away; if the person is to live, the bird can draw the sickness into itself and then fly into the air, dispersing it.

Halcyon
A sea bird which lays its eggs on the beach in the middle of winter. During the period when the Halcyon is laying and hatching its eggs, the seas are very calm and there is fine weather. That is where the expression "Halcyon days" comes from.

Peryton
A deer with wings, that casts the shadow of a man. Their feathers might be light blue or dark green.

Pegasus
Pegasus is a flying horse from Greek and Roman mythology. He is generally pictured as white, sometimes with golden wings.

Phoenix
The size of an eagle, with gold plumage around the neck, a purple body, and an azure tail. The throat has a crest, and the head has a tuft of feathers.

Kraken
A generic name for a gigantic sea monster. Sometimes described as a whale, sometimes as a giant squid, sometimes as a giant lobster.

Tetramorph
Described by Ezekiel as having the face of a man, the face of a lion, the face of an ox and the face of an eagle, each with four wings, and the hands of a man under the wings. The tetramorph also had wheels that "turned not when they went", and eyes everywhere.

Cerberus
Cerberus, in Greek mythology, was a 3-headed hound, with a snake for a tail. Alternatively, he is described as having 50 heads, or 3 heads with a mane of snakes. In most pictures though, he appears with 3 heads.

Could even call it the Yeti since you hear a lot about it but noone has seen the damn thing :D

Or maybe a dinosaur name

Pteranodon, Quetzalcoatlus, Pterodactyl

What about insect names following on from the Hornet, could do Wasp (think this was a helicopter way back when), Bumble Bee (pretty lame), American Killer bee (better), Dragonfly (also done), Tarantula hawk
slightly OT but found this list of most painful insect stings while looking for obscure insects
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index

Hope I never meet any bullet ants, ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back