Chrome silver

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You can paint it bright pink with purple poker dots.... If that's how YOU want to paint it. And the only accceptable way to build, is how YOU want to do it. So, Yes!!

If you're after historical accuracy to the enth degree, then I'm not sure. But there's plenty of experts here that will help you!

Chrome silver is a bit hard to work with, I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, but Tamiya Flat Aluminium is easier (it doesn't shed as much as Chrome silver if you mask it)

I've never had good luck with Chrome silver so I thought I'd just pass that message along :D

If your just starting into the hobby or returning from a long abscent, I'd go with buying maybe 2-3 "silver" or steel colors and seeing which one you like using best on a scrap piece first. masking it, testing how the tape ahears, applying future, applying gloss etc and seeing the reaction to the paint after time etc. :)

Try just as an experient 2 more silvers, I used to use testors silver before I switched to Flat Aluminium, it also depends on your climate, some colors react better to other climates, so what works for someone might not work for all :)

Any silver will work for a P-51 :)

I used the Tamiya spray Silver Leaf for this entry. It will not rub off when its dry. Decals can be laid right on the finish. Around $11.00 per can is not cheap, but the finish is nice and thin. Just sayin.

Attachments

• jack8 black.jpg
    jack8 black.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 175
One thing about the P-51, The factory had the wing panel lines, (except for the ammo and gun access), puttied and sanded smooth. Then it was painted in aluminum paint, so the fuselage might be a polished, (and therefore shiny) surface, where the wings will be a duller tone. Modern refurbished P-51's are sometimes shiny all over, but a WW2 combat -51, nope.

Yep, that is true Paul, and Merlin's Magic did the same with the wings on the race plane. When the wings were overhauled they even had the gun bay paneled over, smooth skin tip to tip on top and bottom. Painted gray.

use a gloss black undercoat. brings out chrome silver MUCH better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back