Collings ME 262

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks for the likes. The A-4s are at Marana KAVQ, and are available for restoration. There is one currently being rebuilt in the hangar. Time and money is all it takes.

Jim

I read some of the older posts regarding the Collings operation parameters of the 262. We currently hold a LODA, or a Letter of Demonstrated Ability. This letter allows us to conduct flight training as long as the participant has a current medical and, at a minimum, a PPL. The current moritorium on exemption letters limits our ability to offer flight experiences to the general non flying public. Hopefully this will change. Flights are available for $4,500 for 1 hour of dual. Given the fuel burn this equates to about 45 minutes of air time.

I've been following this on the Collins Facebook page. OMG I love that 262 and flying along with those other classics is just heart pounding. Are there any plans in the future to tour the mid-atlantic or east coast of the USA?

As of now the 262 has gone back to its home base in Houston. The airplane is great to have on tour and really draws attention. The down side is that it is terribly expensive to run on the road. I don't forsee it leaving Houston unless it books an airshow. I think for now we will run the flight training program from Ellington Field. Until we get an exemption letter for giving flight experiences our market is limited to pilots only...which is a narrow audience. Hopefully this changes and we can do more cities with her.

jim

The canopy was not locked when they attempted to depart Midland. It opened and departed the airframe during the takeoff roll. The takeoff was aborted and minor damage was sustained to the airframe and canopy. Unfortunate, but a learning curve.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread