Come on guys, put some back in it!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder what those angle of attack indicator lines are for? They couldn't be seen from the cockpit. Maybe to help the LSO for carriers landings?

I don't have the answer, Sys. But I suspect that this particular airplane was launched with the nose preloaded at a preset angle of attack based upon weight. The nose lines were likely used to establish a rough parallel based upon established weight/AOA tables for cat launch.

Just a WAG.

Now released under the 30 year 'Awful Secrets Act' rule, a pre-production picture of the Prototype Northrop TH1, knick-named the 'Brushwacker'.

Designed as a multi-ensigned, 'carry on-bored' Naval Surveillance aircraft, the TH1 had numerous novel Navel modifications. These included Atmospheric Climate Control for crew comfort, Central Locking , enhanced crew communications , an experimental multi-array radar with a broad sweep and an early design of Arrester Gear.

Unfortunately, the prototype was run over by its Aircraft Carrier, when it was discovered that the 'multi-ensinged' configuration did not produce enough power…even though listening to the theme tune to Hawaii Five O played at full volume through the ships tannoy…and the Arrester gear failed to snag the last wire. The prototype cleared the end of the deck and fell into the water.

An important design feature of this A/C was the ability for the propulsion units to float free in the event of an accident to be recovered for later use when hung out to dry.

The aircraft carrier used in the only trial, was substantially damaged …badly scratched paintwork !!!…when it ran over the now ensignless plane. As a result of this incident, it was decided that all future Aircraft Carriers would have an angled flight deck to avoid the constant requirement to a full paint job, every time they ran a plane over.

Sorry, its dinner time and I'm bored !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back