Converting a Corsair F4u-1A into 1D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hello everybody,
in my collection there are no carrier based birds so, having found a good opportunity, I purchased the Tamiya 1/32 kit for the 1A Corsair. Once I got the box in front of me, I started looking for an original carrier based airplane to replicate and I found that very likely none 1A was ever based on board in WW2. Instead I found that 1Ds operated from Hancock, Essex etc.
Do you know if any conversion kit exist?
If not, do you know where I could find drawings for 154 or 174 gall tanks and 160 lb bombs?
Many thanks in advance for your help!
Alberto

Externally, there is not a heap of difference, the canopy lacks the two fore & aft frames of the -1A & later -1Ds at least had stubs for rockets below the wings, there was a difference in the step in the flaps, one had it & the other didn't. If the -1A is missing it, the -1D needs it, I think. :)

Hi, many thanks for your answer. At the end I decided to build the -1A, also because to build the -1D I had to purchase two extra sprues relevant to wings from the Italian Tamiya dealer that costed nearly 50 USD, too much, at least in my opinion.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back