Correct name for Japanese Navy (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
What is the correct name for the Japanes Navy up to the end of WWII I have seen "IJN" Imperial Japanes Navy used but I was wondering is that what the Japanese called there navy or is it a name given by western writers. I am hoping Shinpachi is around to give the correct name or designation.

I was told by a Japanese colleague some years ago that in the Japanese language it was referred to as, in his translation, 'Imperial Japanese navy' or simply 'Imperial Navy'. I did note the two Japanese phrases but can I find them, can I ****.
Like you I suspect Shinpachi will be able to clarify.
Cheers
Steve

Hello, fastmongrel and Thanks for your interesting question :)

It was originally called "大日本帝国海軍(Dai-Nippon-Teikoku-Kaigun = Great-Japan-Empire-Navy)".
I am not familiar with English usage so much but isn't it appropriate "Imperial Japanese Navy" ??

Thanks!

Thanks Shinpachi

I have been doing a bit of internet research and I came to roughly the same title Grand Imperial (or Empire) Japanese Navy. My question has come about because I am beginning to do some research on the Russo-Japanese war Naval campaign with a view to eventually building a model of the Mikasa inspired by a visit to her birthplace Barrow in Furness. Hopefully one day maybe when the kids have left I will have the chance to visit Yokosuka to see her.

Hello and you are welcome, fastmongrel :)

Mikasa is a good choice! :shock:
Though you may know very well, please let me recommend you one of our most popular war videos "Saka no ueno kumo(Clouds above The Hill)" produced by NHK a decade ago for your references.

Thanks again for your nice question!
I hope your project will go well in the future :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1oyDyjLr0s

Didnt know about that film shinpachi thanks for the heads up the effects look fantastic and I will search out a copy.

A little interesting nugget I have come across in my research the Japanese Navy used Welsh Steam Coal giving the Japanese warships better power, lower fuel consumption and less smoke than the Russian ships because the Welsh Anthracite burnt cleaner and hotter. The Russian fleet was using lower quality coal they had to buy from merchant ships with about 75% of the energy and twice the ash content of the Welsh Steam. It was a bad move to upset the RN Dogger Bank incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as the RN controlled most of the coal supply ports across the world.

Hello and you are welcome, fastmongrel :)

Mikasa is a good choice! :shock:
Though you may know very well, please let me recommend you one of our most popular war videos "Saka no ueno kumo(Clouds above The Hill)" produced by NHK a decade ago for your references.

Thanks again for your nice question!
I hope your project will go well in the future :)
I myself will be searching for a copy of that movie , one heck off interesting battle , 110 years ago this year , one thing that caught my attention was this gorgeous constructors/shipbuilders model in the Australian War Memorial Museum in Canberra , i don't recall the IJN ships name but it was pre-dreadnought and sure was only a heavy armored cruiser of Vickers origin .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back