Corsair VS Spitfire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Late September 1942: U.S. Marine Squadron VMF-124 begin receiving F4U-1s.

28 December 1942: VMF-124 was hastily declared OPERATIONAL.;)

Early January 1943: VMF-124 left San Diego heading to Guadalcanal

14 January 1943: The first ten F4U-1s of USN Squadron VF-12 are operational,
and eight days later the squadron has 22 aircraft.

12 February 1943: VMF-124 land on Guadalcanal with 24 F4U-1 fighters.
One hour later 12 F4U-1s of VMF-124 take off on a
covering mission.

Jeff:)

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure I'd go THAT far, perhaps just stop blathering on about the Buffalo...
In fairness to Biff, I'm not entirely sure he does blather on about the Buffalo. You could level that accusation on me...providing you accept a new definition of "to blather' as "offering well-researched, cogent, impartial, operationally sound information in an erudite, insightful and edifying manner." :)

Yeah...I know. I'll get my coat!

*SNIP*
You could level that accusation on me...providing you accept a new definition of "to blather' as "offering well-researched, cogent, impartial, operationally sound information in an erudite, insightful and edifying manner." :)

I didn't realize were in a fiction forum... ;)

Actually, I find it amusing that I've always been drawn to long sleek aircraft, on looks for me it's:

U.S.
P-51 (especially the B/C with tail fillet)
P-39
P-40

U.K.
Spitfire - the later marques (Mark IX and above)

German:
Bf-109 (any marque, to me, as visually beautiful as the Mustang)

Japan:
Ki-61 or "Tony"

U.S.S.R.
Don't care

But the one fly in the ointment has always been the Buff. Don't know why but visually there's something about the Buffalo that I really like, looks wise for me it's way better than the F4F or even the F6F.

Yeah, no one's perfect... :D

In fairness to Biff, I'm not entirely sure he does blather on about the Buffalo. You could level that accusation on me...providing you accept a new definition of "to blather' as "offering well-researched, cogent, impartial, operationally sound information in an erudite, insightful and edifying manner." :)

Never fear, I can blather with the best of them just get a couple of Capt's and cokes down my gullet!

I didn't realize were in a fiction forum... ;)

Not a fiction forum but frequently a nonsense forum...as a spouter of said nonsense, I speak from experience.

But the one fly in the ointment has always been the Buff. Don't know why but visually there's something about the Buffalo that I really like, looks wise for me it's way better than the F4F or even the F6F.

Yeah, no one's perfect... :D

Therapy is available...and pills. Lots and lots of pills.

I'm beginning to doubt your qualifications as a pilot. Most I've met were more than capable of blathering without being under the affluence of incohol.

What's the old joke? "How do you know there's a pilot in the bar? Don't worry, he'll tell you." :)

I love that joke, or a slightly different version of it...

Q: How do you know you have a fighter pilot at your party?

A: He will tell you!

As for my blathering I have done some long posts on a Fw-190 vs Spit vs P-51 vs Me-109, as well a few others!

Cheers,
Biff

P-51B/D could easily out dive the P-38 and F4U-1 and F6F and P-40, it could marginally out dive the F4U-4 and yes placard dive speed was 505 IAS for P-51B/D/H

At what altitude was the max safe dive speed of 505 mph IAS for this placard determined? I'm asking this because at 10,000 feet this would equate to a TAS of 575mph @ Mach 0.78 but as altitude increased so would these figures (with the same 505 IAS). By 15,000 feet the P-51 would have a TAS of 615 mph and hitting Mach 0.85.

A: He will tell you!

tell.jpg

Shameless theft of an image previously making fun of vegans.

British Pilot's Notes have:

Mustang III
SL to 10k - 505 mph
10k to 20k - 420 mph
20k to 25k - 380 mph
25k to 30k - 340 mph
30k to 35k - 305 mph

Mustang IV
SL to 10k - 505 mph
10k to 20k - 400 mph
20k to 25k - 360 mph
25k to 30k - 325 mph
30k to 35k - 290 mph

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back