Could the FAA have been better prepared for WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It might very well have been possible for the FAA to be better prepared, but it calls for an exceptionally careful path to plotted between the real historical happenings.

The RAF went through a massive expansion in the number of both bomber and fighter squadrons during this time. How much they might have spent on the FAA is certainly subject to question.
However the benefits of this massive RAF expansion are mixed.
The squadrons did exist.
The ground crew and aircrew did exist (or could be called up)
The airfields did exist and/or were upgraded from delicit WW I standards.
All pluses.
The aircraft industry was built up in those years, also a plus even if not anywhere near what would be needed in 1941-42.

On the minus side quite a few totally obsolete or obsolescent aircraft were purchased that were completely useless for modern warfare. This was done so those new squadrons that were being established could have something anything to fly.
The British air industry took too long to go from a a proposal or requirement to actual flying hardware. Could be a number of reasons, working too hard on existing aircraft to meet production deliveries? In any case the prototypes were often worked on in corner of the production shop and may not have had priority. They showed up late and were often obsolete or nearly so when in prototype form. There were exceptions.

Please remember that the Sea Gladiator was NOT what the FAA wanted, it was a temporary substitute to tide them over until the Fulmar could be delivered, But they didn't really want the Fulmar either. The Fulmar was they thought they could get (another temporary substitute) while they waited for the Griffon powered plane they did want.

Having 40-50 more NImrods or Ospreys in 1933-35 doesn't really do much for the FAA in 1938-40 except assist in training .

Somewhere on the internet . . .I once ran across a picture of a P-39 being launched by catapult from a carrier deck. The photo clearly showed the catapult bridles falling away from the P-39's main gear. The background was in harbor somewhere. I do not remember there being any explanation accompanying the photo.

It might very well have been possible for the FAA to be better prepared, but it calls for an exceptionally careful path to plotted between the real historical happenings.

The RAF went through a massive expansion in the number of both bomber and fighter squadrons during this time. How much they might have spent on the FAA is certainly subject to question.
However the benefits of this massive RAF expansion are mixed.
The squadrons did exist.
The ground crew and aircrew did exist (or could be called up)
The airfields did exist and/or were upgraded from delicit WW I standards.
All pluses.
The aircraft industry was built up in those years, also a plus even if not anywhere near what would be needed in 1941-42.

On the minus side quite a few totally obsolete or obsolescent aircraft were purchased that were completely useless for modern warfare. This was done so those new squadrons that were being established could have something anything to fly.
The British air industry took too long to go from a a proposal or requirement to actual flying hardware. Could be a number of reasons, working too hard on existing aircraft to meet production deliveries? In any case the prototypes were often worked on in corner of the production shop and may not have had priority. They showed up late and were often obsolete or nearly so when in prototype form. There were exceptions.

Please remember that the Sea Gladiator was NOT what the FAA wanted, it was a temporary substitute to tide them over until the Fulmar could be delivered, But they didn't really want the Fulmar either. The Fulmar was they thought they could get (another temporary substitute) while they waited for the Griffon powered plane they did want.

Having 40-50 more NImrods or Ospreys in 1933-35 doesn't really do much for the FAA in 1938-40 except assist in training .

Training is important, but I think the hardware problems were symptomatic of problems in the decision making (and, not unlikely, penury on the part of both Labour and Conservative governments. The parties may have had different motives for this penny-pinching, but the net result was the same).

The 1930s was also a time of massive improvements in aeronautical technology. In 1933-35, the USN's carrier-based aircraft were the Grumman FF-1, SF-1, the Boeing F4B, Curtiss F11C and BF2C, the Great Lakes BG-1, and a slew of other biplanes. The Nimrod and Osprey don't seem particularly outdated compared to those aircraft.

As I noted earlier, I think that improved training for officers slated for command and staff positions would have been very valuable and relatively inexpensive, as would an active effort to improve RAF/RN relationships in aircraft procurement and operational planning. Armed forces should remember that their true task is the defense of their country, not that of their budgets, but peacetime services frequently get far too concerned with the negative sum game of beating the other service rather than worrying about actually beating potential enemies.

Somewhere on the internet . . .I once ran across a picture of a P-39 being launched by catapult from a carrier deck. The photo clearly showed the catapult bridles falling away from the P-39's main gear. The background was in harbor somewhere. I do not remember there being any explanation accompanying the photo.
The Bell XFL-1 Airabonita was P-39ish

1602360613263.png

p-39_airacobra_42-19490_WRG-000040164.jpg

http://forgottenprops.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/p-39_airacobra.html

No sign of a tail hook, so this must be a one way trip. This layout make more sense to me than going through the time and investment of the taildragger Aerobonitia conversion.

Hey fubar57 and Admiral Beez,

Thanks for the link and photo. This is a new photo to me, not the same photo that I saw before. In this photo there are no harbor details in the background and the bridle cable is still attached to the gear. In the photo I remember the bridle was already falling away from the plane, the plane was 4-5 lengths(?) away from the deck edge, and the photo was taken from farther away. Also, the markings were not the same (I think). I will see if I can find it again, but it has been several years.

I always assumed that it was from tests to see if the P-39 could be launched from carriers for the purposes of reinforcing flights.

PS If memory serves me correctly, the photo I am referring to was from one of the USN history sites.

Last edited:
I am totally confused

How does the P-39 help is in 1930?

Can't we have X-Wings instead? They got lasers And R2 units.

I am not interested in carriers and their silly little kites. I want battleships. BIG BATTLESHIPS!!! With huge guns and lots of armour. Unsinkable monsters of death that will fight Jutland 2: The Empire Strikes Back. How big? Chuffing enormous.

Nelson didn't win by flying about.

It's called a Navy for a reason.

I want a 100,000 ton battleship with 20 inch guns called HMS Armageddon.

20 inch belt armour with torpedoes a plenty.

It would sail the seven seas bringing death to all those who oppose the Empire.

It would fight a war and bring so much death and destruction that even Satan would surrender.

Damn....got excited there for a minute.

It would fight a war and bring so much death and destruction that even Satan would surrender.

I find your comments intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

E7182FA8-76CB-49CB-910E-133B5915B598.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back