Couple questions on IL-2...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hi.

I have IL-2 Birds of Prey for the XboX 360 and have a couple questions...

1. I was had 2 of the same things happen. First I got into a dogfight with an Me-190E and I was in a Spitfire. The 109 made a pass on me and I pulled back on the throttle, turned and got on his 6. I took a seconds burst and nothing started to smoke, but the plane just nosed over and crash. The same thing happened with a Stuka I just started raking him in a turn and he nosed over and crashed. What happened?

2. I Was chasing yet another 109 and I shot at 2 second burst at him and he had very minimal smoke. All the sudden he belly upped and started spinning like a helicopter...what happened?

3. I was on a He-111's 6 and shot a burst into the left engine. It trailed BOTH dark gray and white smoke, how?

This is just a funny story. My friend and I both own the game and we play on live with other people. The host of the game turned off unlimited ammo and it was my friend and I vs him. We didn't have ammo. So my friend pulls along side the 109 in his spitfire and just banks into him and blows him up. He died but I was alive and we won LOL.

Hi.

I have IL-2 Birds of Prey for the XboX 360 and have a couple questions...

1. I was had 2 of the same things happen. First I got into a dogfight with an Me-190E and I was in a Spitfire. The 109 made a pass on me and I pulled back on the throttle, turned and got on his 6. I took a seconds burst and nothing started to smoke, but the plane just nosed over and crash. The same thing happened with a Stuka I just started raking him in a turn and he nosed over and crashed. What happened?
Call it a guess, but it sounds like you shot them down...

2. I Was chasing yet another 109 and I shot at 2 second burst at him and he had very minimal smoke. All the sudden he belly upped and started spinning like a helicopter...what happened?
Perhaps kilt the pilot in the saddle?

3. I was on a He-111's 6 and shot a burst into the left engine. It trailed BOTH dark gray and white smoke, how?
White is oil, sooty (dark) is fuel...sounds like you shattered the 111's engine block (assuming the damage modelling registers that)...

Seriously, I have gotten off a few high-deflection shots into an enemy's cockpit, and I see their aircraft nose up hard, and stall...I can only assume that I have gotten in a kill shot, and the damage model causes the AI to "jerk back" on the stick at the moment of thier death.

As far as the the first question of yours, I really don't have an answer to, because I am not familiar with IL-2 Xbox and it's modelling. It is possible that you damaged thier controls or injured the pilots.

Alot of times, landing hits on an enemy aircraft won't produce a "flash-bang" result unless you're rounds light up a fuel tank or inflict catastrophic damage to thier engine. If you study WWII gun camera footage, you'll see a large majority of hits landed on an enemy aircraft result in debris and oil/coolant discharge when bringing them down. Not very exciting for a combat sim, but that's just the way it was. :)

I once got a high deflection shot in a P-51 on a Fw-190. The 190's wings folded up like a carrier plane. But with the Stuka, I just came in from 11 o'clock and got a half second burst in and he just nosed over and exploded when he hit the ground. Xbox version is almost a copy of the PC version.

With the He-111, I figured it had something to do with fuel but wasn't sure.

THX. :D

I should have clarified that a little...if the engine is damaged (shattered head or pistons), and consuming oil with the fuel, the exhaust is white, creating a billowing white smoke.

Burning fuel is has a dark (brownish-black), sooty look to it...burning oil (non-compressed) has a darkish hue to it...almost a black-gray color.

Leaking fuel and/or coolant would be a mist, or at least in the real world, it's a mist...so ingame, it'll look kind of white and opaque, but not like smoke.

You can tell when an aircraft is leaking fuel in IL-2, it has a thin, light-colored trail behind it...sometimes real hard to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back