Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
I have seen a great deal of dioramas that depict such scenes as aircraft being repaired or maintained or just simply parked on the ramp being prepped for a mission. There has also been dioramas that show a glimpse of carrier Ops.

But I'm curious, has anyone done a diorama of an aircraft manufacturing assembly line?

I agree. It's exceptionally well done, but lacks the 'atmosphere' that a few figures, walls and doors would add. That said, it might be intentional, so that the 'scene' can be viewed easily.
Shep Payne did a 1/48th scale diorama of B-26 Marauders under construction, and included the factory walls and roof, jigs, tools etc etc.

It would certainly cost quite a bit to purchase several kits just to create a reasonable assembly line, so then I wonder, would a 3-D printer come in handy for such a project?

Didn't Payne use opposing mirrors in his B-26 assembly line picture other of the local aviation museums each have large WW2 production dioramas in I believe 1/72 scale. One, or both, may depict P-47 production. I will photograph them next time I am over there.

We've even had some awesome dioramas done here by forum members, especially the WWI dioramas.

It just seems that assembly lines aren't all that common to see in modelling.

What made me think about this, was the assembly line photo of Ju87Bs that I posted earlier in the Picture of the Day thread. It had the Jumo engines sitting in front of the partially completed fuselages with a line of post assembly airframes in a row behind. It was really cool looking...

I've actually considered doing a small, 'cameo' diorama of a Mosquito under construction. The Airfix 1/48th scale Mosquito PR.XVI kit includes the fuselage, tops of wings, and some other parts, from the FB.VI kit, as they've used some of the common parts, together with 'new tool' parts, to produce the kit.
I might get around to doing it some day - but don't hold your breath !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back