d/h vampire frog

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
hi all i have a frog vampire part built that has been i've had kicking about for a while but its missing its canopy,does anyone know where i might get a replacement please,the kit is 1/72nd

cheers bob

I have been looking for any of these vacu conopies but failed. Unless you buy one of CMR kits for Vampire. There are two vacu cockpit conopies coming with each kit.

I thought that if i made a forma out of Balsa to shape and then cut some clear plastic to place over this popped in the oven when chris wasn't looking that i might end up with a canopy i could use,or a lot of explaining to do

Might be enough to heat the plastic over the mould with a hair dryer, or hot air blower used for soldering? (Just an idea, don't know if it'd work).

Make a female mould too, using a thick(ish) sheet of balsa. Fasten the clear sheet firmly to this female mould, and hold about six inches above your cooker hob, keeping the sheet moving in a circular motion. As soon as the clear sheet just starts to go 'floppy', push the male (canopy shape) mould through the clear sheet and profile 'hole', all the way. Allow to cool, and then trim with a new scalpel blade, with the male mould still inside the moulded form.
When you make the balsa male mould, seal the grain with a coat of talcum powder mixed with clear enamel gloss varnish. When fully hardened, sand lightly, clean off the dust, and seal again with another coat of clear varnish, and polish when fully hardened.
ANY imperfections in the male mould will be reproduced in the moulded part, but this can be advantageous, as tape can be used, sealed under the aforementioned coatings, to reproduce frames etc.
Be prepared to have more than one attempt, as the 'knack' is to do the actual moulding in one swift movement, before the heated plastic cools.

Yep... I agree with Terry. Also you can follow the way I used for making a pilot's seat in the thread...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/bu...w-make-your-own-pilots-seat-models-26095.html

It is exactly the same way for making conopies. The difference is to use a clear sheet of styrene instead of the white one I used for the chair.. For the clear plastic you can use a piece of any transparent part of boxes that goods are wrapped. One thing more yuo have to pay attention to , is that if the clear plastic becomes "milky" when worming up, it means it isn't good for that purpose. Of course, check if the clear plastic can be fixed with the glue you have ,firstly. If it can't, the CA glue ( the Superglue for instance) can be needed.

Last edited:
can anyone help with a spare canopy for this please as i'm not having much luck trying to make one

Pavla makes two, for the Amodel kit, No. V72-83 for the Mk1 and V72-84 for the Mk6. I can't tell you if they will work or not. Hannants has them in stock, and they aren't very expensive.

Bob , let us know if you got one of these please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back