Damn Shame This .... Time to Get Out ..?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's he going to negotiate with? 5,000 village elders from Africa, Middle East, Americas, Euruope, Phillipines, etc? On second thought I vote for America to build them a stadium to meet in. Group picture. Wait for flash.
I have the perfect visual aid for you here:
wm-Photo Machine.jpg

That's because in your heart of hearts the Americans would love to have a monarchy Matt.
The world can be in turmoil, bankrupcy looms, bomb chuckers everywhere and emmigrants coming out of our ears but....if all else fails the breaking news of Prince Phillips latest trip to hospital will keep the proles distracted while the our enemies plot.
Sound familiar?

"... The world can be in turmoil, bankrupcy looms, bomb chuckers everywhere and emmigrants coming out of our ears but....if all else fails the breaking news of Prince Phillips latest trip to hospital will keep the proles distracted while the our enemies plot..."

Sounds a bit paranoid, Pillgrim, IMHO, but I do believe institutions such as the British Monarchy and similar(s) help people focus by providing continuity. I love America and think it has its own 'continuities' ... however ... the constant election cycle inherent in the US system makes for constant 'churn' -- which sometimes isn't helpful .... for the butter. :)

MM

'Sounds a bit paranoid, Pillgrim, IMHO, but I do believe institutions such as the British Monarchy and similar(s) help people focus by providing continuity'.

You are never alone when you are paranoid Michael but, I am cynical about those in charge.
Maybe you feel more secure in 2013 than I (we) do here.
The press / establishment has always diverted attention and as the house of Windsor is back in the public heart after the Diana debacle the royals are a good source of 'diversion'.
I'll give you example...North Korea starts rattling its sword and Cameron is now supporting the replacement of the Trident missile system after years of saying 'we cannot afford it'. The next news item was a 40 year old woman who has been told that the NHS cannot pay for her life extending drugs as they are too expensive...so, I ask myself what do we really need in these times of economic hardship? A new trillion pound nuclear deterent or, looking after our own peoples health?
I despair sometimes I really do.

"... Maybe you feel more secure in 2013 than I (we) do here. .."

This is undoubtedly true .... we in the democratic colonies are well and truly blessed at this particular point in the space-time continuum.

MM

Thankful Canadian

This is undoubtedly true .... we in the democratic colonies are well and truly blessed at this particular point in the space-time continuum.

Ummm....perhaps its a case of the children doing rather better than the aging parent Michael.
I'm glad for you guys.

Cheers
John

Unsettled England

The next news item was a 40 year old woman who has been told that the NHS cannot pay for her life extending drugs as they are too expensive...so, I ask myself what do we really need in these times of economic hardship? A new trillion pound nuclear deterent or, looking after our own peoples health?
I despair sometimes I really do.

Death panels!! Hah! We gots us one of those too, now. Vive la govt!

"... perhaps its a case of the children doing rather better than the aging parent.."

Perhaps - but I think societies have to re-invent themselves from Time-To-Time ..... the natural killer of that positive process is cynicism. Canadian society is blessed (at this time) with the space and riches to let the re-invention process take place - constructively. Australia the same I would immagine.

The UK has wound up with the wrong set of social-economic priorities. I know Maggie T. doesn't cheer you up John, :), but you gotta admit, even a shot of penicillin in hip hurts.

Healthy Canadian

MM

"... perhaps its a case of the children doing rather better than the aging parent.."

Perhaps - but I think societies have to re-invent themselves from Time-To-Time ..... the natural killer of that positive process is cynicism. Canadian society is blessed (at this time) with the space and riches to let the re-invention process take place - constructively. Australia the same I would immagine.

The UK has wound up with the wrong set of social-economic priorities. I know Maggie T. doesn't cheer you up John, :), but you gotta admit, even a shot of penicillin in hip hurts.

Healthy Canadian

MM

Maybe we have Michael...trying too hard to be so many different things to too many people and loosing ourselves in the process.
I admire the French for their determination to 'be French' and rather wish that we could find the courage to 'be British'.
Not in a EDL way just be ourselves.
Maggie scolded us into leaving the 1970's behind...maybe it was needed but, there are a lot of folks like me that we never forgive her.
Mind you there is another generation that will never forgive Blair for his lies.
Its very hard not to be cynical too.
We could learn a lot by looking at Canada. The Immigration / Customs policy is one...you abandon the model and we adopt it....
Hey ho

Confused Britain

If all of that isn't enough, I was rather startled the other day when my Fiancé (who's still stuck in Bulgaria on business) made a comment to me after watching the news about what's going on here in the United States.

Bear in mind that she is a native born Bulgarian and raised during communist times and has since seen them struggle to cast off the last vestiges of the regime.

Her comment was (this is a direct cut-and-paste):
Honey ! the States look now like our communists times in our countries here many years back

i dont believe this happens in US that supposed to be the most free country ever
What could I possibly say to this in 500 words or less?

I could blame the democrats or I could blame the republicans. I could blame the media or I could blame the educators.

But in the end, placing blame on anything is like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound...

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I think that our discussions have become much too political. As you know political discussions are not suffered lightly on this forum. I know that we have been meandering back and forth across that subjective line of acceptability for months now. My personal take is that this thread has continued to exist only because of my personal contributions as a Moderator has been looked upon in a kind light. While the other Mods have never said anything to me nor posted concern in our sub-forum, their conspicuous absence in posting in this thread just screams at me that we (I) have crossed the line.

I'm locking this thread. We can take further discussions offline via PMs if it is that important to us. I appreciate the other Mods being patient with us.

Unfortunately, I have the right to be silent, but do not have the ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back