Das Boot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aggie08

Staff Sergeant
Apr 15, 2005
Texas
I'm reading it now. What a good book. The Tommies sure have given the uboat crews a run for their money. The book doesnt say which year it takes place in, but the best I can figure is 1942- they're still docking in france and just got called to the mediterranean. They are constantly on the alert for Mossies and Sunderlands- what other british craft would be on u-boat patrols?

The book is good and you have to watch the movie with english subtitles! It is the best submarine movie ever made.

The reason I dont like the dubbed over version in english is because the voices are so gay. They picked the wrong people to speak the english in that movie.

The movie is brilliant though and you can really real for the submariners and see what life was like for them.

I watched a documentary on the special features for the movie on my DVD and they were actually filming in a mock U-Boot that was like a simulator and movied and they were locked in it for up to 8 hours a day. Some of the characters were claustrophobic and that helped actually make the acting so much more real.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
The book is good and you have to watch the movie with english subtitles! It is the best submarine movie ever made.

Not only is it the best sub movie ever made, its among the best war movies ever made!

I agree it was a good submarine movie and war movie. But I prefer Tora! Tora! Tora! as a war movie.

Chief said:
I agree it was a good submarine movie and war movie. But I prefer Tora! Tora! Tora! as a war movie.

Tora Tora Tora was a good movie but it does not capture the fear, expressions, feelings, and realism of war as Das Boot does. In Das Boot you could really feel and understand and feel for the sailors.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Tora Tora Tora was a good movie but it does not capture the fear, expressions, feelings, and realism of war as Das Boot does. In Das Boot you could really feel and understand and feel for the sailors.

I watched it in the dark, with subtitles,so the actors were speaking German......it felt like I was one of the crew. It was the best war movie that I can think of off the top of my head.

I like watching it with my home theater surround system and man it really is impressive. When the depth charges are exploding it is like all around you and shaking the place, the sonar pings sound amazing. It is like sitting in the sub itself.

I also really love the theme song.

I like U-571, not entirely accurate, but the depth charges are bone-crunching and the action is good.

A scary thought in the book- "It was a bee-- direct attack," the Commander gasps. I feel the boat sinking fast. A bee? A bee? In the middle of the night? Not an artillery shell but a plane--impossible!... for some time there's been a rumor that the Tommies have a new electronic direction finder that's small enough to fit in a cockpit."

The Brits got radar! Imagine how scared the crew would be after learning something like that.

Tora Tora Tora is definitely one of my favorite movies. I'll have to watch this move too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back