Davis Wing for a fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Just a thought. I was used on the Coronado, Liberator and Dominator. Would it have worked for a fighter? Sure would looked strange though.

Just a thought. I was used on the Coronado, Liberator and Dominator. Would it have worked for a fighter? Sure would looked strange though.

It is unsuitable. Basically vertical wing position determines the roll stability of the aircraft - roughly speaking, the low mounted wings are unstable, high mounted wings are stable. Since stability also effects maneuverability (reaction), and you want low stability/high maneuverability in a fighter, while high stability is desirable in a bomber, top mounted wings would be curious choice for a fighter. It also blocks vision to the top hemisphere.

It is unsuitable. Basically vertical wing position determines the roll stability of the aircraft

And has nothing to do withteh Davis wing - which was a high aspect ratio wing with the maximum thickness a little further back than the regular (for that time) profile. That Consolidated chose to use the wing in a high mounted position doesn't mean it always had to be.

And has nothing to do withteh Davis wing - which was a high aspect ratio wing with the maximum thickness a little further back than the regular (for that time) profile. That Consolidated chose to use the wing in a high mounted position doesn't mean it always had to be.
Yes, I wasn't thinking of a high wing fighter. Would a fighter with a low mounted Davis airfoil be in the same league with other WWII fighters? It seems that Consolidated was the only one to use the Davis wing and by the mid 30's they were no longer designing fighters. Could this be the only reason it was never tried on a fighter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back