Decal application? What should I know?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I managed to finish applying all the decals. Hot water made things easier.

I have to clear the helmet with something?

I also have to choose a color for the visor of which I have a few hundred. Probably the darker the better. Purple?

Hard to believe this started out as a balsa block.

I'll do some tests with some clears.

Blacklist
dscn0577.jpg
dscn0579.jpg
dscn0582.jpg
dscn0500.jpg

Looking good. Future is a great clear coat, however......they changed the formula a few years ago. There is Pledge with Future though I have yet to read if anyone has tried it. Krylon makes clear, satin and flat spray bombs and almost every model paint brand has clear coats

I think I ruined it. I shot it with Krylon clear and the thing blushed. Bummer, but it's not dried yet.

Yes, I would strip it down and start from scratch. That's the kind of guy I am.

Blacklist

Robert,

No, it didn't clean up when dried. I brushed on some testers thinner and gave it a wet wipe with my finger. This pushes the thinner into the clear. Bit of that and most of the blushing went away, however, not some areas are textured slightly.

8.00 got me a full size can of clear Krylon. Why not? Have it a dusting and the black is black, but still not smooth.

Tempted to hit it again, but something tells me not to.

I can live with it.

I'll get photos.

Blacklist

Last edited:
I've just started producing my own decals on the inkjet. The decal film is a bit thick, and setting solutions are needed, but Solvaset (my usual go-to product) destroyed the decal film so I went to the Microsol product. Additionally, you need to overcoat the water-soluble inkjet ink with an impervious film. I first went with Tamiya clear spray and it didn't keep the water out and the decals were ruined. I then turned to Microsol's Liquid Decal Film which restores the film in old cracking decals. This worked perfectly. From now on, I'm going to coat all hand made inkjet decals with the Microsol product.

Builder,

Could you post photos of your decal work?

Blacklist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back