Decal Setting Solution

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

guffman999

Recruit
Jul 20, 2010
Stramshall
i am building a Airfix Bristol Beaufighter TF.X 1:72
Can i use micro sol/set on Humbrol Modelcote Mattcote
if not, please could you give me some alternatives

i am building a Airfix Bristol Beaufighter TF.X 1:72
Can i use micro sol/set on Humbrol Modelcote Mattcote
if not, please could you give me some alternatives

I've always thought that decals had to be applied to gloss or in a worst case semi-gloss surfaces. I'm not an expert on Humbrol products by any stretch of the imagination but it doesn't sound like the Humbrol Mattcote is going to be what you need for a base coat for decals. But I'll defer to folks like Airframes. Terry? Want to chime in on this?

The decal solutions can be used on any matt coat, but that is defeating the purpose of the solutions !
These solvents are designed to soften the decal, to assist in its conforming to the surface, especially into and over engraved detail and raised areas. It then taughtens the decal as it dries, eliminating any trapped air etc, and making the decal blend into the surface as if it's painted on. To do this, the surface needs to be gloss, either gloss paint, such as Xtracolour, or with a gloss clear coat of any prefered gloss clear varnish. Once the decals have been applied, set, and the area cleaned of any deposits or staining, then another clear coat can be applied in the desired finish, that is, gloss, matt, semi-matt etc.
Hopefully, this has answered your question.

That's why I have asked about the problem. It seems that the problem is with a lack of knowledge about a way of finishing models but not about the Micro Set/Sol reaction to the Modelcote Mattcote. Of course nothing offensive here Mate. :)
We need to know what kind of paints ( enemals) you used for painting ( airbrushing). ALso it would be nice if you could tell us at what stage is the model, paionted or not for instance. Has the Modelcote Mattcote been applied yet?

Last edited:
I have found that decal solutions can affect the dullcoats sheen so if you need to use the solution then another coat of matt may be required....but not always...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back