Designing my 1930 semi auto rifle (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember watching a forgotten weapons episode where the gun Jesus talked about a useless Norwegian pistol. In the 1900 period a loony Norwegian went to the Norwegian government to build a Norwegian pistol. The Norwegian government wanted a Norwegian pistol so gave the Norwegian loony lots of money. The pistol turned out to be total garbage but the government kept throwing money at it. In the end the pistol was a total dud and the Norwegians got 1911s.
National pride and weapons don't always make good bedfellows.

On a related subject.....in Canada this guy called Ross.....

Most or all of the conversions of the Lee-Enfield were done in commonwealth nations when supplies of Bren guns from England looked very suspect in terms of quantity and time of delivery. Even supplies of old Lewis guns from store looked pretty thin. Australia and New Zealand, being on the end of a rather long supply line and having suffered a number of failed promises of equipment by the British might be forgiven for keeping a trickle of substitute guns in production even after receiving a few shipments for England. The British didn't stand down their own home guard until late 1944.

National pride did play a huge role in weapons procurement both before WW I and to some extent, after it. It still plays a part although much smaller.

I suppose.
Uk was fighting it's own wars and getting ships to new Zealand in the early days was hellish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back